What happened???

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I was playing my favorite tuner (Pioneer TX-9100) and since the TV/FM line is messed up clear into the bedroom I decided to switch to the nearby AM sister of the oldies station and I got AM for a plit-second and then NOTHING.

No AM at all. Not even wiggling the needle. That hurts.

Socks has been at the vet's for 3 daze and I've been killing myself getting the place as clean as possible and uncluttered for the both of us. I was already exhausted at 5 am and I could only just frown and go to bed.

orange

Tagline
DAVE: No duh

Laz: It's a 5000 watt AM less than a mile away at over 106 dBu in signal strength, even a half dead tuner will pantomime it.

It also wasn't moved one inch since Tuesday or so when I got up on the stepladder and restore the right channel wire on the amp.

orange

Tagline
After the amount of cleaning I've done the last three daze, and my cat is still going to be in the hospital over the weekend (she's not going #2 as well and had some blood in her urine, so it's going to be next week), I've washed nearly all the bed linens now, her blankets in her bed and on the loveseat as well as her comforter on her favorite chair plus she'll sleep on my bed. That and the dishes and a few other loads of laundry.

It was kind of a big priority and I'm half dead here but the house is almost done now. Have to mow and trim the lawn next round.

Did it to myself.

orange

Tagline
Right now I'm more worried about Socks than the tuner. I'm just doing all of this work to distract myself from a very scary possibility. In turn it does me and hopefully her good.

derek92994

Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
Right now I'm more worried about Socks than the tuner. I'm just doing all of this work to distract myself from a very scary possibility. In turn it does me and hopefully her good.
Kind thoughts to you and Socks, keeping busy is good, hang in there bud

orange

Tagline
I'm working on finishing the bed linen so I can sleep some. I waited so that I wouldn't just wake up again in the middle of the night, I've just pulled three night shifts here so to speak.

I leave the front door open and my neighbor's little ragamuffin dog Shaggy wanders in here and licks me. He's my buddy too, I normally try to shoo him out quickly though because Socks has given him a good swat on the nose before, which he is actually surprised about, as he likes nearly everyone/everything. But he doesn't live here and I don't want to scent the place up too badly...

She didn't even put up too much of a fuss when I loaded her into her cage this time which I found odd. Maybe she knew what I was doing was good for her and that she needed it and was too tired to fight it.

I'll try to get the shed reworked in the morning and set some bike parts back in there. I can't move everything, a lot of it is pre-recorded cassettes and VHS and Beta blanks as well as my instruments and recording gear..

nakdoc

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
highly biased
AM should make healthy static except when tuned to a clear station. If you are hearing silence, then it broke. It should have a screw for a single wire AM antenna.

orange

Tagline
It has a perfectly good ferrite bar on the back. I'll get up there and see if it was disturbed when I moved the tuner and amp to fix the loose speaker connection. However, we have a 5 kW flamethrower with a ~107 dBu signal strength, being less than a mile away and the Sansui 3300 gets it just fine.

AM is completely dead. There are signals at 580, 630, 670, 1140, 1260, 1340 and 1450 that are quiet as well. The meter doesn't even wiggle on AM.

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
Use your finger as a cap to find the issue .
Put your finger directly on AM PCBs . It's a short for radio signal , but
you don't destroy anything . You should listen to something when you
find the right place .

Ciao
Marco

orange

Tagline
Oh, I moved it about some, the antenna mount is broken but I somehow got the station down the street again. Yes, an external antenna would help, but to be honest the rest of the band is :bootyshake:.

And that thing is heavy. Taking it down from over 6 feet up on a step stool...it wasn't fun getting it UP in the first place :(

Last edited: