What cassette deck ?

Tagline
---
The heads situation...we always wondered how a B 215 could sound with a Nakamichi head...just think about it. He, he,he.

Anyway, the Canon heads of the B 215 could be replaced by some Sony heads with some mods, of course, and it was done by Alex at some time. He always complained about the Revox heads in the B 215. That is a mod that demands a highly trained tech.

vince666

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I will not be missed! :p
the Canon heads in the B215 are sendust, true?

personally, the couple models of Canon sendust I found in a couple of my decks (i mean the ones with 2 laminas per core/channel and green epoxy) sounded horrible and I've replaced them both with something else.
Tandberg decks (3014 and the likes) are also based on Canon sendust as playback head.

While i finally found some Alps sendust in my Telefunken TC750 and in my brother-in-law's Grundig CF-5100 and, to my surprise, they sound decent.

DS4

New Around These Parts
I have had Nakamichi zx7 for about 10 years, it sounded great untill started developing "orange cap disease". I have spent some time replacing all orange caps, and also removing some electrolytic coupling caps or replacing them with film caps. Was surprised how more transparent it sounded after mods, now I do not even need Dolby for recording.

e30m3mon

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
I'm about to embark on a 682ZX rebuild ... it has been benched for years, presumably because of the same capacitor issues, as well as some lubrication needs. I'm sure I will find more issues when I remove the cover. Aside from routine maintenance on the heads and tape path, untouched since I bought it new in '81

Tagline
Always Thinking Outside The Box.
I have had Nakamichi zx7 for about 10 years, it sounded great untill started developing "orange cap disease". I have spent some time replacing all orange caps, and also removing some electrolytic coupling caps or replacing them with film caps. Was surprised how more transparent it sounded after mods, now I do not even need Dolby for recording.
When I restored my Pioneer CT-900 w New transistors and Capacitors. It sounded Amazing, Of all my Restore so far this made the biggest improvement. (Tape desks have a lot of Capacitors and a lot of work)
Also working on some Pioneer SX-x50 SX-xx50, I think the new standard is to restored all the old component's (I found a lot of bad cap's so far)