what are you listening to?

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
I knew there was a orange vinyl release ... but not translucent. Where did you score that?
Searched on Discogs. Orange vinyl? Didn’t see that one…

EDIT:
Yeah, there it is… Several different colors, several different prices! I like the turquoise…

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You'll blow your ears out kid
I bought the LP Moody blues days of the future passed over 40 years ago, still have it and in great condition. I saw a DVD of this album and got it a few weeks ago. Today was rainy raw and damp and nothing important on my bucket list this afternoon so I watched it. It does not have a lot of the tunes on the album but some tunes I never heard. It is a good DVD and sounded awsum through my system on the big screen...

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Tinsley Ellis' Winning Hand is on the DAP at the moment. Nice stuff from a guy I got hooked on after watching him perform on a late-night small stage many years ago (the kids were so small we were pulling them around in a wagon) at an early Riverbend festival. I think I saw him on a Sunday evening before he played a stage at the Bessie Smith Blues Strut down on MLK Blvd on Monday. Talk about a party... 8 blocks of a major city thoroughfare blocked off with six flatbed trailer stages set up and all the BBQ and cold beer you could consume. Oil drum smokers everywhere...

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Is that pre-Traffic/ Humble Pie.?
Lee, that is Traffic. It's a live album from 1971, during the "is Dave Mason with us or not?" era. It was recorded in July 1971 at Fairfield Hall in Croydon and at a benefit concert in an unnamed venue in London. Lineup is Winwood, Rick Grech, Mason, Jim Gordon, Jim Capaldi, Chris Wood, and Kwaku Baah.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Love all those knobs and levers on the old Dual turntable...
1229Q was the best one Dual made (opinion). Despite idler drive, it’s pretty quiet. My only complaints are the headshell sled arrangement and that the “steuerpimpel” needs replacement every so often (a sliding pin that engages the cycle mechanism).

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
1229Q was the best one Dual made (opinion). Despite idler drive, it’s pretty quiet. My only complaints are the headshell sled arrangement and that the “steuerpimpel” needs replacement every so often (a sliding pin that engages the cycle mechanism).
Those damn steuerpimpels :)

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Did oyu own any of the belt or direct drive Duals, Mark? I had a belt drive model, can't remember which one - maybe a 701- in the early 80s after my AR was stolen and kept it until moving back to Chattanooga and a friend wanted to buy it and my pioneer receiver before i left Decatur, AL. I liked it a lot.

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
701 was Dual's very first direct drive. I consider it their best DD. There were lots of belt drives but lower down the ladder.

I had a 1245 /1246 or something for a while. A lightweight belt drive table but it always worked. A 510 came my way once and I remember reading someone say "one of the better Duals". But another crossed my path - model began with a "6" and it was problematic because of the belt.

Although I've tried but never used it, I have a 704 DD.

No valid reason except nostalgia I guess but I like Dual's idler drives the best The original issue 1009 in particular. The first brand new turntable I bought was a 1015 in the late 60's. Back then I naively thought Dual turntables were the best on the planet.