what are you listening to?

Bob Boyer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Odyssey... ALTEC-Experience Altec, a promotional, a very nice recording! View attachment 47365 View attachment 47366 View attachment 47367 View attachment 47368
Had that album - it's long gone, as are the 891A Altec speakers. There was nothing "mini" about them. They were the first pair of speakers I owned. Paired them with a Dynaco SCA-80Q and spun the vinyl with an AR XA turntable with Shure M91ED cartridge. Good times.

Gave them to mom when I moved back from north Alabama in 1984.

George S.

Had that album - it's long gone, as are the 891A Altec speakers. There was nothing "mini" about them. They were the first pair of speakers I owned. Paired them with a Dynaco SCA-80Q and spun the vinyl with an AR XA turntable with Shure M91ED cartridge. Good times.

Gave them to mom when I moved back from north Alabama in 1984.
A photo of my never opened NOS Shure M91E I've had laying in a Akro-Mils parts drawer since way on back. Yes, those years were good times. Definitely.

Attachments

BlazeES

Tagline
---
First time I saw this artwork I thought of Twin Arrows AZ.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_Arrows,_Arizona
I-40 runs right beside the old trading post, the artist may have seen it first hand.
Neil Peart was a motorcycle adventurer for the last 2 decades of his life. I'm willing to guess that his personal travels by those 'Twin Arrows' ... and the snakes part ... were impressions from a trek down that stretch of I-40 & inspiration for the artwork. Might even be something mentioned in his book.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
That's one band I can say I really haven't heard. Going to check them out this coming weekend when I get some time.
Jorma was Jefferson Airplane's lead (and alternately, rhythm) guitarist; Jack was their bass player. Hot Tuna was a side gig for the two of them which reflected their abiding interest in (mostly) acoustic blues. They continue (inasmuch as anyone does these days in this business) to perform all over the country. I consider my inability to get them to play for my series at UTC before the pandemic my biggest programming failure. I was fighting too many battles with the administration to concentrate on booking and I let their last tour slip past me; from all accounts, they are among the nicest people in the world. Jorma continues to operate a guitar camp on his Fur Piece Ranch in Wisconsin; their post-Christmas holiday tours with friends and family are legendary, as are the performances. There's a lot of good recordings available in hi-res here: https://www.prostudiomasters.com/search?cs=1&q=hot+tuna (no affiliation, yada, yada..)

Fun fact: RCA wouldn't let them go with their first pick for a name, which as you might imagine, was Hot Shit.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
It's the Beach Boys tonight - stereo mixes on headphones from a couple of greatest hits compilations. Even with less than absolutely great mastering and 16/44 digital sound, I'm sitting here in stunned disbelief (a state I seem to find myself more and more these days). AM radio did these productions no favors. Never mind the production brilliance of Pet Sounds, I just seem to keep peeling back more and more layers of songwriting (who'da thunk writing for the bass would work in rocknroll?) and studio production. Vocals coming to a screeching halt with only a bunch of echo before a big wall of guitars just slap the everlovin' shit out of you when they kick back in. There's only a couple of outfits who can get away with music that's dripping in reverb, and it seems Brian Wilson wrote the book on how to use it with the Beach Boys.

No wonder the Beatles were inspired by - and in turn inspired - the Wilsons and Co. I'm in awe of what you can do with four tracks, an 1176 comp and a bunch of reverb. Plus some instrumental songwriting.