what are you listening to?

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Soft Cell- Nonstop Ecstatic Dancing
(c. 1982, Sterling, pressed at Capitol Jacksonville, VG++/NM [bought new in 1983])
Side 1: Could have done without the ruined version of "Where Did Our Love Go"
Side 2: Turn up the volume (especially at track 2), culminates with the infamous "Sex Dwarf"

Attachments

MarkWComer

Tagline
Depeche Mode: A Broken Frame
(c. 1982, Pressed by Capitol [Winchester], "Leave In Silence" longer version, VG++/NM [bought new- 1982])
A favorite...

Attachments

MarkWComer

Tagline
Wire: Silver/Lead
(c. 2017, Skye/Finyl Tweek, pressed by[FONT=&quot] O[/FONT]ptimal Media GmbH. Vinyl not released in USA. M/NM [bought new from Wire website])
Sound: a bit compressed. Standout tracks: "Diamonds in Cups," "This Time," "Forever and a Day."

A favorite Punk/PostPunk/Artrock band.

Attachments

MarkWComer

Tagline
Mark, you are talkin' to me bro! I have all those too. Is that the PL or the Pioneer version of that linier tracking TT?
That's the Pioneer PL-L1000. This was not sold in the USA, the ones you see usually have been bought by servicemen at the PX and shipped home (this one was...). Fitted with Audio/Technica AT440MLa.
The PL version was the 8000 Series II, it had a gray deck and a brushed aluminum headshell.

Starting to worry- I started the night with the Soft Cell album. The cycle passed (tonearm traveled to the record edge and lowered the point) but for some reason the arm wouldn't track. Grabbing the finger lift would not make the linear motor work, the jog wheel wouldn't move the arm. Start/Stop worked fine- arm to edge and drop, lift arm and return home- both worked correctly. I cycled the power, still didn't work. I played the Dual 1229Q for two records, then tried the Pioneer again, and it worked perfectly. Maybe a bug crawled into the tracking sensor? This sucker can't be fixed without an oscilloscope, guess it's time to get one and hope that I can get the now obsolete ICs to refurbish it.

Last edited:

MarkWComer

Tagline
More from last night...

DEVO: Oh, No! It's DEVO!
(c. 1982, Sterling, Capitol Jacksonville, die-cut cover. NM/M-)

The DEVO dance record...
Side 1: (Skip the first track...)
Side 2: (Tracks 1, 2, and 6)

Attachments

MarkWComer

Tagline
DEVO: Something for Everybody
(c. 2010, Bernie Grundman, 180g, includes CD. [Two pressing plants listed- one for vinyl one for CD?]).
Intentionally pressed on blue vinyl so you can't tell if you've swept all the dust off. M, (mail order from ClubDevo.com)

Good comeback release after a long hiatus, DEVO is what DEVO is, quirky and unusual. Audio junk food!

Attachments

MarkWComer

Tagline
Ultravox: Vienna
(c. 1980, this release RM/RE 2014 [Steve Rooke/ Abbey Road]. 180g white vinyl [pesky-can't see the dust!!] with 7" rehearsal tracks. M.)

This release follows the original UK track order. I have the original US black vinyl release as well ('cuz I dig Ultravox...) with a different track order.

Attachments

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
That's the Pioneer PL-L1000. This was not sold in the USA, the ones you see usually have been bought by servicemen at the PX and shipped home (this one was...). Fitted with Audio/Technica AT440MLa.
The PL version was the 8000 Series II, it had a gray deck and a brushed aluminum headshell.

Starting to worry- I started the night with the Soft Cell album. The cycle passed (tonearm traveled to the record edge and lowered the point) but for some reason the arm wouldn't track. Grabbing the finger lift would not make the linear motor work, the jog wheel wouldn't move the arm. Start/Stop worked fine- arm to edge and drop, lift arm and return home- both worked correctly. I cycled the power, still didn't work. I played the Dual 1229Q for two records, then tried the Pioneer again, and it worked perfectly. Maybe a bug crawled into the tracking sensor? This sucker can't be fixed without an oscilloscope, guess it's time to get one and hope that I can get the now obsolete ICs to refurbish it.

Mark, my good friend and old roommate Dale, has one. He was in the Navy. IIRC, bought at the PX in the UK when new, maybe you guys can chat about things. I know he's had issues with it, the sensor and the switch. They Do Not Like to be moved. He is an EE and now works the overnight shift for the USPS. I'll see if I can PM you his email and you guys see how that works. His is not working last time I talked to him.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Soft Cell- Nonstop Ecstatic Dancing
(c. 1982, Sterling, pressed at Capitol Jacksonville, VG++/NM [bought new in 1983])
Side 1: Could have done without the ruined version of "Where Did Our Love Go"
Side 2: Turn up the volume (especially at track 2), culminates with the infamous "Sex Dwarf"

Egad! The You Tube video crashed my browser window! HA HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAEEEIEIEEEEEEE!

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Okay, I reset Firefox on my 32 bit machine in here and that seems to have helped some. It was crashing more than the stock market for a while.

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
1989's The Creatures ~ Boomerang, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boomerang_(The_Creatures_album)

Every song is different in style and sound, the recording is one of the best SQ wise, especially on the slabs :toothy4:, hard to pick a fav...so I just jam the shit outta the whole disc :ugeek:...my new pain meds are very enhancing of this uber cool classic.