what are you listening to?

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
You don't happen to suffer from a sore neck by any chance??
LOVE the Puppy. Gorgeous. I wish I could have one... :confused:
Naw, I'm reclined in what's called a zero gravity chair. Very comfortable for naps while listening to tunes. Angle to the big flat screen is perfect when reclined.
The dog is a mix of Border Collie and Australian Shepherd. Very smart, very many toys, and knows the names of them all. He's a good dog!

pennysdad

Tagline
I've totally lost the plot....
My monitor is front and centre. I also have a camera in my window which turns my monitor back into a window, otherwise it perfectly suits watching live music clips or movies, but the sound system has to be symmetrical to my viewing.
My whole room is pretty well set up like a Control Room [which it pretty well is I s'pose.]
So he's a part Aussie Sheep herder is he? He really is gorgeous.... Too late for me now. Oh well...

George S.

Yeah I wanted to mount the big flat screen front and center, but the wife said no way. Oh well, no big deal. I listen to more vinyl than anything else. But if I'm going to take a nap then a huge digital file is required.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
We hit the thrifts yesterday, and I spotted a CD case with rounded corners. It was Porcupine Tree, a band I was not aware of. The album was "Lightbulb Sun," and it was a two-channel CD and a 5.1 channel DVD in high rez. Oooooh boy! Listening to it now - it's not really my kind of music, but the high-rez is better than the multi-channel. Well, it's nice to hear DVD-A for the first time...

Almost forgot to mention: the CD was missing and such is life. Yeah, I find a LOT of empty CD cases at the thrifts.

edit: I haven't had my 5.1 system set up for long, and I just now figured out how to adjust the channels. Took both rear channels down 12 db and boosted the front channels 3 db. Everything sounds well-balanced now - no behind-your-head boom like before.

Last edited:

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
It was Porcupine Tree, a band I was not aware of.
- it's not really my kind of music,
Interesting… I bought Steven Wilson’s most recent LP, “The Future Bites,” found it worth several plays. He has quite a discography, and Porcupine Tree was one of his projects. I tend to listen to offbeat bands, and sampled some of his works via YT videos. Some good stuff, I thought.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
Interesting… I bought Steven Wilson’s most recent LP, “The Future Bites,” found it worth several plays. He has quite a discography, and Porcupine Tree was one of his projects. I tend to listen to offbeat bands, and sampled some of his works via YT videos. Some good stuff, I thought.
I'm sure most of the membership here would find my musical tastes strange.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Naw, I'm reclined in what's called a zero gravity chair. Very comfortable for naps while listening to tunes. Angle to the big flat screen is perfect when reclined.
The dog is a mix of Border Collie and Australian Shepherd. Very smart, very many toys, and knows the names of them all. He's a good dog!
Is it one of those beanbag-but-not-beanbag chairs I saw advertised on TV?
Worth buying, eh?

I’m always skeptical of commercials that say “mystic ice cream stick and Elmer’s glue technology,” or any other “technology” that’s been known since the Pharaohs of Egypt. “Zero gravity bead technology” sent my bogus detector offscale.

George S.

Agree, beautiful dog! Did you build the shelves yourself? Really nice!
A neighbor had a big wild black cherry tree come down. He allowed me to chainsaw the planks out freehand. Put them in the garage to dry for 6 months on spacer sticks and weights to keep them straight, wood glue on the grain ends to slow down drying and prevent cracking. Once dry, hit them with a auto body grinder to smooth them some, then spar urethane.The uprights are black walnut from out back, bored through the center for threaded rod, washers and nuts. The uprights were cut long as possible and immediately debarked with a putty knife. The bark strips right off by hand once you get it going. The uprights dried for 6 months, with glue on the ends, before cut to length and bored. Need to get the bark off ASAP. The threaded rod holds the upper and lower uprights tight against the lower plank, with rod protruding for the upper plank to drop onto with blind holes.
Had extra left over from that project so I also made a stick record crate holder and a printer table. The record crate holder is super strong because there are 2 cross pieces under each crate. I still have quite a bit of large cherry pieces in the garage. Need to make a new plinth for the old AR-XB turntable, will get it done someday. Recently scored a nice red oak plank, thinking about maybe glueing up a massive layered Red Oak and Cherry plinth.

Attachments