Weird ... but different.

BlazeES

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
I wasn't aware of this TapeProject company.
Interesting business model.
Capitalism at it's finest - all the power to 'em.

Personally, I do not see the value proposition at $375.
But with that said, I would be curious enough to at least experience a demo on a capable system
if for no other reason than to simply see what the deal is all about. No matter how good it sounded
I still don't think the price makes much sense.

Maybe if I was a 1-percenter ... :laughing8:

I enjoyed the Q&A section on that site too.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I don't even listen to the 1-percenter stuff...they were successful at what they did and we can just try harder.

All the gear I own came out of a sad mistake when I was 15 and lost two weeks pay from dad that was meant for school and my first stereo system...all because I pumped 10 dollars worth of unleaded in a $5-6000 diesel Chevette.

It was years before I owned a USED Pioneer receiver, and twenty before I owned the SX-3600 I had to defer on to buy a 16 wpc Sanyo.

I learned how to find things CHEAP and broken if I had to. Now I've been paring down for the last 3 years and I have still managed to find all but 2 or 3 of the classic Pioneer cassette decks I ever wanted and I'll be damned if there's room for a woman or a small dog for all the gear of all kinds.

You don't have to be rich to get what you want or live in a tent to get noticed.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Who's heard of a Tefifon?

Stumbled across this on YouTube. Definitely weird and different at the same time, like an 8-track phonograph.

Very unusual machine!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nBNTAmLRmUg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(Embed not working for this thread.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBNTAmLRmUg&list=FLLm_wZPxQgs5XMScFk3pvpg&index=1

Last edited:

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
To say that $375 for a tape is outrageous is a profound understatement.
That's just the first increase... they can keep their tapes, no way will I ever consider tapes over clean records

"Just a reminder that album pricing will be going up from $300 per album to $375 per album on February 1st. Our costs have been rising steadily over the past 7 years, but we had not made any adjustments for ever higher tape, flange or license costs. We must increase our prices to $450 per album to keep the project viable, and we will be doing so soon. To try to soften the blow we are going to do this price increase in increments. The first increase will be to $375 on February 1st, 2015"

MarkWComer

Tagline
We must increase our prices to $450 per album to keep the project viable,
When you outprice yourself, who's gonna buy it? Obscene price to begin with, now even more so.

we had not made any adjustments for ever higher tape, flange or license costs.
Licenses may be high, but how expensive is raw tape? Is it really that much?

Last edited:

Northwinds

Tagline
Licenses may be high, but how expensive is raw tape? Is it really that much?
Licenses are cheap, it's probably only a very small percentage per copy since this is small production. About the cost of a download these days, maybe $1 a song

Also, these are definitely not made from the original masters, maybe digital copies of the originals though (MD or DAT). No record company is going to send their original 2" masters to anyone so that part of their pitch is totally bogus. The master tapes (like acetates) are only good for a couple uses at most and you need a 2" machine to do anything with them period

MarkWComer

Tagline
Licenses are cheap, it's probably only a very small percentage per copy since this is small production. About the cost of a download these days, maybe $1 a song

Also, these are definitely not made from the original masters, maybe digital copies of the originals though (MD or DAT). No record company is going to send their original 2" masters to anyone so that part of their pitch is totally bogus. The master tapes (like acetates) are only good for a couple uses at most and you need a 2" machine to do anything with them period
I get two things from this:
1: It's a scam...
2: The target market is people who like to brag about the money they waste (or their lack of shopping skills).

Northwinds

Tagline
The reels are nice though.... I bet our guys here can make recordings that rival theirs