Weird ... but different.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
And I always thought of Rush as a non-gimmicky, enterprising band. It's a novelty I might be buying into.

Nando.

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Whoa- that is a weird one! And it moves! I have the laser etched True Colours by Split Enz and Paradise Theatre by Styx- and I thought those were above and beyond.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Yeah! Were IS that dude, after George Lucas practically had a hologram of Princess Leia on an SD card in 1977?

Well at least there are TWO stars...

Coldsmoke

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Talking about geeky stuff, here's my favorite (including hologram as well) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-8B-_Jq2ro

Featuring :
- 180 gram vinyl
- 2 vinyl-only hidden tracks hidden beneath the center labels
- 1 hidden track plays at 78 RPM, one plays at 45 RPM, making this a 3-speed record
- Side A plays from the inside out
- Dual-groove technology: plays an electric or acoustic intro for “Just One Drink†depending on where needle is dropped. The grooves meet for the body of the song.
- Matte finish on Side B, giving the appearance of an un-played 78 RPM record
- Both sides end with locked grooves
- Vinyl pressed in seldom-used flat-edged format
- Dead wax area on Side A contains a hand-etched hologram by Tristan Duke of Infinity Light Science, the first of its kind on a vinyl record
- Absolutely zero compression used during recording, mixing and mastering
- Different running order from the CD/digital version
- LP utilizes some mixes different from those used on CD and digital version

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Talk about uber cool ...
Dual grooves? Under label grooves? Locked groove? Multi-speed? And the hologram?
Damn.
Leave it to Jack to push boundaries!

Thanks for posting this. :happy2:

Talking about geeky stuff, here's my favorite (including hologram as well) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-8B-_Jq2ro

Featuring :
- 180 gram vinyl
- 2 vinyl-only hidden tracks hidden beneath the center labels
- 1 hidden track plays at 78 RPM, one plays at 45 RPM, making this a 3-speed record
- Side A plays from the inside out
- Dual-groove technology: plays an electric or acoustic intro for “Just One Drink†depending on where needle is dropped. The grooves meet for the body of the song.
- Matte finish on Side B, giving the appearance of an un-played 78 RPM record
- Both sides end with locked grooves
- Vinyl pressed in seldom-used flat-edged format
- Dead wax area on Side A contains a hand-etched hologram by Tristan Duke of Infinity Light Science, the first of its kind on a vinyl record
- Absolutely zero compression used during recording, mixing and mastering
- Different running order from the CD/digital version
- LP utilizes some mixes different from those used on CD and digital version

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Thanks Florian.....there are some emotions involved with this I haven't quite identified....pride in the city in which that was done, could it have been done anywhere else.....?? A very unique approach to record day!!

MarkWComer

Tagline
Talk about uber cool ...
Dual grooves? Under label grooves? Locked groove? Multi-speed? And the hologram?
Damn.

Thanks for posting this.
Jack White is outrageous! 3rpm record, the "Triple Inchophone" (3" phonograph and records). Yes- pushing boundaries indeed- doing some crazy stuff! Apparently he's a phono geek and absolutely loves the grooved media.

As far as I know, Monty Python's Matching Tie and Handkerchief was the first dual groove record. Side two (or three...) had a different routine depending on where the needle dropped.

Video from 3/2010 about some oddities I bought. (I eventually found who Patricia Norman was.):

http://youtu.be/M-Pb8H1LEPs

Last edited:

Coldsmoke

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Talk about uber cool ...
Damn.

Thanks for posting this.
If think that what Jack White is doing for the resurection of the LP format will be part of my generation history (late 20's early 30's).
The main landmark being probably Neil Young's album recorded in a voice o'graph:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H47jI6xanA

Coldsmoke

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Jack White is outrageous! 3rpm record, the "Triple Inchophone" (3" phonograph and records). Yes- pushing boundaries indeed- doing some crazy stuff! Apparently he's a phono geek and absolutely loves the grooved media.

As far as I know, Monty Python's Matching Tie and Handkerchief was the first dual groove record. Side two (or three...) had a different routine depending on where the needle dropped.

Video from 3/2010 about some oddities I bought. (I eventually found who Patricia Norman was.):

http://youtu.be/M-Pb8H1LEPs

A funny thing Mark, is that I allready accidentally saw your video ! I love your collecting themes!

MarkWComer

Tagline
If think that what Jack White is doing for the resurection of the LP format will be part of my generation history (late 20's early 30's).
The main landmark being probably Neil Young's album recorded in a voice o'graph:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H47jI6xanA
Now if the manufacturers of the old hydraulic record presses would take the hint and start building new presses, we'd have a true resurrection of the medium!

A funny thing Mark, is that I allready accidentally saw your video ! I love your collecting themes!
If it's a disc with a groove I'm in love with it.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
This will be an interesting comparison to when Des-Lab was at Tapeheads and he spearheaded an effort to get Maxell to restart manufacturing tape. He put a lot of time , effort and correspondence in that project only to be told that it was strictly a business decision based on perceived need. I guess we'll see if the perceived need in vinyl is enough to get em reinvolved...

Coldsmoke

Journeyman
Tagline
---
This will be an interesting comparison to when Des-Lab was at Tapeheads and he spearheaded an effort to get Maxell to restart manufacturing tape. He put a lot of time , effort and correspondence in that project only to be told that it was strictly a business decision based on perceived need. I guess we'll see if the perceived need in vinyl is enough to get em reinvolved...
Talking about tapes, I suppose Lee you heard about this : http://tapeproject.com/

Nice recordinds, but the prices are outrageous :/