Wanted: old Jazz/Bop LPs

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
If you have or come across old jazz/bop from the 50's- 80's I may be interested. Singles or lots. Labels such as Prestige, Verve, Riverside, Chess, Atlantic, Blue Note Columbia etc. Stereo or Mono- no problem.

I have quite a bit already but the more I discover the more I realize I don't have.

I'll consider CDs as well, but in general the early stuff was never on CD. More popular titles were later released on CD (Dave Brubeck for example) but I have a lot of that stuff on CD (and LP as well in some cases) already. I always grab a jazz CD if I don't have it.

I'm not flipping stuff- I want them for my own enjoyment (so I'm not interested at $20+ a record). Cover condition is secondary- it must play well (at least VG+ on the visual grading for the record surface) and I prefer to have the jacket, even if it's falling apart. Love them liner notes!

Kind of a long shot, but maybe some of you guys are downsizing, find boxes of LPs at the curb and/or you just want the classic rock from your lot finds... whatever.

Doesn't hurt to ask I figure.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
If you have or come across old jazz/bop from the 50's- 80's I may be interested. Singles or lots. Labels such as Prestige, Verve, Riverside, Chess, Atlantic, Blue Note Columbia etc. Stereo or Mono- no problem.

I have quite a bit already but the more I discover the more I realize I don't have.

I'll consider CDs as well, but in general the early stuff was never on CD. More popular titles were later released on CD (Dave Brubeck for example) but I have a lot of that stuff on CD (and LP as well in some cases) already. I always grab a jazz CD if I don't have it.

I'm not flipping stuff- I want them for my own enjoyment (so I'm not interested at $20+ a record). Cover condition is secondary- it must play well (at least VG+ on the visual grading for the record surface) and I prefer to have the jacket, even if it's falling apart. Love them liner notes!

Kind of a long shot, but maybe some of you guys are downsizing, find boxes of LPs at the curb and/or you just want the classic rock from your lot f inds... whatever.

Doesn't hurt to ask I figure.

I'll look through the 200 albums I just brought home. They were left behind at the flip we were dealing with. I left some crazy shit where it was but I kept some Jazz since I knew a bunch of you listen to. I know there was some Urethra Franklin and a few others. Most were in great condition even the first pressing of Pink Floyd DSOTM and the Monkees. I even kept a couple Christmas albums. The guy had like all 20 Savoy Brown LP's.

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
I'll look through the 200 albums I just brought home. They were left behind at the flip we were dealing with. I left some crazy shit where it was but I kept some Jazz since I knew a bunch of you listen to. I know there was some Urethra Franklin and a few others. Most were in great condition even the first pressing of Pink Floyd DSOTM and the Monkees. I even kept a couple Christmas albums. The guy had like all 20 Savoy Brown LP's.
What happened to the previous occupant?

Deceased?

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I appreciate it Sniff!

Post up a group shot when convenient and I’ll take a look. At least it can go media mail…

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Lemme see if I have anything, though I'm still in the habit of dipping into my jazz stuff every now and then. Will post pix if I do.

Haven't been really impressed the quality of what I'm seeing at the used shops these days, even for jazz, which is normally well cared-for. So I've not been buying much.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I’ve not had time but also don’t listen as much during the warmer months.

I’ve got some classic rock stuff I’d be willing to trade with anyone. Nothing amazing but I have most of that on CD and if so I’ll cut the LP version loose.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
I don't have anything I want to turn loose of right now, Jim. Wanna send me a list of what you're looking for (or already have)? I'll keep my eyes open at a couple of used record booths at the antique malls I get dragged to on occasion. One of them has a decent stock of jazz.

Also, what's your tolerance for condition? Mine is mint-minus at worst unless it's absolutely rare.

62vauxhall

Tagline
Here’s my collection (what’s catalogued anyway):

https://www.discogs.com/user/Jim-Leach/collection

Mostly CDs but the jazz LPs are mostly catalogued now.
Thanks!

Seeing that link made me check discogs for a soundtrack / compilation I've been wanting for a couple of years that I had no intention of buying on ebay. Found it, bought it and it's is coming from within Canada.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I mainly use it to reduce buying doubles and triples when I’m out but it also avoids over-spending when I find something interesting.

On the other hand it can justify overspending on something I want…

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Bumping this up guys.

Still interested in trades too. I should try to get some photos up of the records I’d be willing to let go. Duplicate CDs I already gifted away to the trombone player in my former band (no time for that either).

Note the classic rock LPs I have is not listed on Discogs yet, only the jazz and maybe a few odds and ends.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
(so I'm not interested at $20+ a record).
Amen to that! I’m on a quest for old swing 78s: Cab Calloway, Paul Whiteman, etc. Original shellac only, and quite often they hover around $20 per disc for what can be called a “single.” Not looking to flip, of course, but for the sake of having an eclectic collection.

62vauxhall

Tagline
Despite the noisy shellac and clay, 78s are surprisingly dynamic
I agree with that. There are some Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Fats Domino etc 78's I have that seem to sound more like what the intended sound was supposed to be. 33 1/3 and even 45 versions of the same songs don't seem to have the same oomph.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I donated a huge box of 78’s to the hi fi museum. I’d have gladly sent them your way, but shipping yield is around 50%…

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
Yep I'm always down for picking up swing and country (and country swing) on shellac. I think I have 30 or so 78s. But I only get em local and cheap cuz they break......