Voice of the People Survey!

Should White Oak Audio Design offer a largely SMT version of its PL14-20G1 Control Board?

• Yes, I really like the new Surface Mount Technology

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • No, I prefer to keep it old school

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Yes, but I have some comments about this (place comments in the thread please)

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I have long, long thought of offering a control board that saved builders time, reduced assembly errors and perhaps made the control board smaller by moving to SMT technology for all the small signal resistors, transistors, diodes, etc. which comprise the large majority of the components on the board by component count. This would leave a much smaller component count of through hole components to be placed and soldered by hand. The option to configure the board as either quasi comp or full comp would remain as through hole components. The option to build with or without the Phoenix connectors would remain.

I want your thoughts and comments on this, pluses and minuses.

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
I've heard of issues of the SMT components not acting like the TH components. Do all components have the same characteristics as the through-hole? I'd hate to change perfection if only to save a few minutes in time. Through hole is easy to solder and if less experienced builders have to repair an issue, it can be a PITA if you have not had any training with the new system. SMT can look like ass if all the components are not perfectly straight but if you are having them built with SMT parts already done, I'd use it. I know you have many choices with the TH parts specs to be able to buy the best, I don't think you have the same choices with the flat stuff. I know it would be a time saver for you doing kits too................

Just my penny's worth.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
If nothing changes during Joe's testing with the flat stuff, I'll try one. I vote for putting the flat stuff on the back side of the board since it's not as sexy as old-skuul.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Now for the long answer

So I have some white oak phase linears and some dell lattops with lots of smt techno in them

now the phase linears only give up if I tinker with them without turning the power off as I did this weekend and shorted something out. It was repaired and working again

my two dell laptops of similar age to the WOPL builds and both are dead with video card issues. I have fixed them several times by flowing the solder joints but it never lasts. The heat kills them

so my five cents leans towards staying with what we got now.

George S.

Would a populated SMT board be less expensive than a through hole board? Given the present economic trends and what the future is looking like, a cheaper and easier way to build might make sense.
We all know how costs are rising and parts are becoming more difficult to get.
Joe, you need to do what's right for your business. If the era of through hole is "over" or becoming too difficult or labor intensive, then adapt.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Now for the long answer

So I have some white oak phase linears and some dell lattops with lots of smt techno in them

now the phase linears only give up if I tinker with them without turning the power off as I did this weekend and shorted something out. It was repaired and working again

my two dell laptops of similar age to the WOPL builds and both are dead with video card issues. I have fixed them several times by flowing the solder joints but it never lasts. The heat kills them

so my five cents leans towards staying with what we got now.

Do the laptops get hot?? Hell yeah and the ventilation sucks too. . I think the control board would run pretty cool since the processors put out shit-tons of heat on a laptop.

Tagline
Always Thinking Outside The Box.
Joe
Is this all or nothing? or would you sell the old one to or till you run out? or both
If you do go SMT How many of the old boards do you plan on selling?
I like the vintage stuff because it is old school and I can work on it w/o a microscope.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Joe
Is this all or nothing? or would you sell the old one to or till you run out? or both
If you do go SMT How many of the old boards do you plan on selling?
I like the vintage stuff because it is old school and I can work on it w/o a microscope.

Damn Steve, he's just perusing our opinions

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I don't believe Joe would sacrifice sound quality for a cheaper board. Joe....if it tests as well as a TH board, and you can run em off cheaper..that's a no brainer really. I would really hate to have to change out components on an SMD board though. But, TH stuff may get unobtainable one of these days too...
Whatever you decide Joe I'm sure it will be the right thing..

George S.

Saving an hour on a 3 hour board build aint worth it.
I agree. Was thinking it would appeal to those who really aren't into the building or "craftsman" aspect. I can see someone who just wants to get their amp up and running with the least time and effort choosing a SMD version. And the disastrous results such attitude would be prone to cause.
Personally, my choice is a self built through hole board. But, if those go away, I would have no problem with a WOAD SMD board.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Thanks all for your votes and comments. Although other votes may come in, I don't think it will tip the scales the other way. It provides me a solid reading on the sentiments about user preferences.

Do not read into this that the G1 board is going away. It isn't. It may get superseded by a successor with even more possible technical, reliability or quality improvements.

Do not read into this that there are component shortages that I am facing on the G1 board. Even in a tight market, I am not facing any presently. That may change in the future as the market ebbs and flows, but for the moment, things are OK.

Do not read into this that the bean counters have moved in and want to cost reduce the G1. Moving to SMT would likely not reduce costs at all but may have improved convenience for the user/assembler base. The vote count says that is not a driving issue.

Thanks again.