Vinyl Collections.

Oktyabr

Journeyman
A sandy beach on the Pacific coast of Washington
Tagline
---
WOW! I don't have anything remotely like that! Around 250+ GB of lossless FLAC rips, a few hundred CDs, and I just started getting back into vinyl about two years ago. Thought I'd tag onto this thread because this last weekend was awesome for me! A friend on facebook tagged me in a local classified ad (yes, facebook DOES have some worthwhile purposes!) for a guy selling "A hundred or more vinyl albums, mostly heavy metal, classic rock..."

I had about 600 albums before this last purchase but much was older, mellower stuff and I really felt my rock section needed some growth. I think this last acquisition has at least rounded off my Led Zep, Rush and YES collections, and I think it includes just about every KISS and Aerosmith album as well. Found three transparent colored vinyl as well in my brief skimming! :D

Just pulled a few at semi-random for the photo op. Haven't counted yet but I'm estimating 250+ (counting doubles as two, etc.):

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
I don't know how he stores his records, but a friend, I'll call him One-A-Day bought his first TT from me in March of 2011. This KD-650 developed a hitch in its tonearm and he brought it over and I repaired the tired bearing race and retorqued the horizontal bearing. All was good and off he went.

I have been keeping track of his album purchase numbers and although he moved to Seattle without his gear in Sept, it did not slow down his record buying. When he was here a couple weeks ago to grab his gear from storage, he mentioned he has about 760 albums now. About 1 a day by my count.

He is going to need to investigate storage options as I don't see any slowdown in his collecting.

Nick Danger

Veteran and General Yakker
I don't know how he stores his records, but a friend, I'll call him One-A-Day bought his first TT from me in March of 2011. This KD-650 developed a hitch in its tonearm and he brought it over and I repaired the tired bearing race and retorqued the horizontal bearing. All was good and off he went.

I have been keeping track of his album purchase numbers and although he moved to Seattle without his gear in Sept, it did not slow down his record buying. When he was here a couple weeks ago to grab his gear from storage, he mentioned he has about 760 albums now. About 1 a day by my count.

He is going to need to investigate storage options as I don't see any slowdown in his collecting.
I think IKEA is calling One- A- Day's name.

https://www.google.com/search?q=exp...8L6bkyQHel4DYAQ&ved=0CDsQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=681

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Ikea's Expedit knockoff at WalMart

Rolling through the nearest WalMart today, saw this on display:

Looks awfully damned close to Ikea's Expedit, don't they? $38 for the small cube, $68 for the large- comparable to the Kallax series (successor to Expedit). As far as I can tell, no other colors or finishes are available for the WalMart knockoffs. A quick roll over to the crafts department to grab a ruler verified that the cubby holes are indeed big enough to stack your LPs in.

GREAT! Saves me a trip to Charlotte, NC!

MarkWComer

Tagline
Expedit knockoff- part 2

Bought one. Eh... Fit 'n' finish not the same as Ikea's, but functional. (I don't need to tell you this, but it's) Chinese and not Swedish- accounts for the lesser quality.

Despite that, the shellac 78s have a nicer home than the plastic milk crates they were living in:

BubbaH

Tagline
---
I dont know if it matters with these ones, but it appears you have yours sideways. Your side boards should be your top and bottom.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I'm not sure it that's as important as do you lick the crème filling first or just dunk your Oreo, but I don't claim to know anything about IKEA either:blob8:

MarkWComer

Tagline
I dont know if it matters with these ones, but it appears you have yours sideways. Your side boards should be your top and bottom.
My 2 x 4 cubby Expedit is laying horizontally, so this matches the other. Yeah, sideways, but the cubby holes are square and the records fit in. Believe me- this one single detail did screw with my OCD, but now the records are all stuffed in and I ain't gonna change it! Furthermore- it's blocking an electric outlet- more fodder for the OCD...

Nick Danger

Agreed, Ben. This way the weight is not just on a couple of dowels. Don't know if it matters as much for the 2X2 or 2X4, but you cannot do that with 4X4 or 5X5 models. Asking for a big mess with a lot of heartbreak to boot if you try. I know a couple of folks who have added additional metal L- bracket to the shelves of a 2X4 so it could hold a bit more weight safely.

I use Expedits for my gear rack(three of the 2X2's) and for my records as they come up often on CL around my neck of the woods. Just bought a mess of them a few weeks ago to use for storage in the garage.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Looks to me that these organizers are designed to work whichever way.

Certainly the example on the Walmart shelf, for the elongated - 8 compartment config,
suggests that the fastener configuration is designed to handle top & bottom spans that aren't supported in what you'd think was the more logical arrangement.

Nick Danger

Looks to me that these organizers are designed to work whichever way.

Certainly the example on the Walmart shelf, for the elongated - 8 compartment config,
suggests that the fastener configuration is designed to handle top & bottom spans that aren't supported in what you'd think was the more logical arrangement.
Can't speak for the knockoff, but IKEA units definitely have a top and a side.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Shuffling the collection again- and getting damed sick of it! Everything is alphabetically filed, one minor frustration is that nobody has determined how to spell “Tschaikovsky” (or is it “Tchaikovsky,” or even “Tchaikowsky?).

Pushing the Russian composer aside, is there any guideline as to how we should store our vinyl records? Should they be smashed together with some pressure or can there at least be enough space between them to get our fingers in to pull something out to play?

I’m wrecking the covers by pushing my fingers into the stacks to retrieve something to play! Everything is stored vertically, as I’ve been told they should be, but it seems that every time I buy a record whose artist name starts with “A” means I have to shuffle records in twelve cubbys. It’s becoming tedious…

Suggestions? Is it okay to leave a one- inch gap in my cubbys?

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
As long as I can slide an LP out easily, I’m good. Too snug and pulling ithem out/cramming them in pisses me off.

Most of my vinyl LP’s are in 37 Kallax/Expedit spaces. One space is empty and maybe half of another. To do that required moving categories like soundtracks, compilations, comedy. Those went into some hardwood “record bins” I made a few years ago.

No way am I hauling home vinyl like I did in the city but having a little bit of room for expansion is nice.

That 1” gap would be dandy if it could be maintained.