Vintage Console Stereo Hidden Subwoofer

Richard D

Journeyman
Tagline
---
1 My house was built in '62, and I have a lot of late 60s-70s stuff. Jer has just got done refurbishing my PL700, and I have a pair of 901 Series I with nice walnut finish, and nice tweed grille cloth. I have an old walnut console stereo, I was pondering hiding a big sub in there. It's about 16" deep, 30" wide, and 24" tall. 6.66 cubic feet(great for "devil music"!). It is 6" off the floor. I have woodworking tools.

Last edited:

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Sounded like you have plenty of input(s), you need an outlet *for any electric tools.

Seriously speaking now, what's yer music box look like in there...take some pitchers.

nobody

Journeyman
Tagline
---
The only problem I can think of would be that most of the old consoles aren't super sturdy and putting a subwoofer in there is bound to shake and rattle and get a whole lot of extra vibrations running throughout the console and muddying up the sound. I'd guess if you do this, you'd want to reinforce the section where you put the sub pretty extensively for best sound. Or just stick it in there, see how it sounds and go from there. It probably depends on how sturdy the console is and how hard you run the sub.

BubbaH

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
You could always get a big ass mono car amp... use a 12V computer psu to power the amp, and use a 12" or 15" car sub. If you are building your own box inside an old unit, it should be no problem to hide the amp, psu, and sub itself. Lots of affordable, powerful car gear out there.

kevin

Forum Veteran and Hillbilly
Richard..... My old pal Sutton and I have built a bunch of subs !! And that sounds Like a pretty cool idea what you are doing there ! BUT... Let me say this.. Get you box size right ! Get you port tubes right !!! How you figure all that is above me but find someone that can !!! And if ya get it right.... Put ya some rubber pads on the bottom of the legs ! Good luck !!