"Vintage" CD players

deaner33

New Around These Parts
Just wanted to post some of my "vintage" CDP's. First up, a Sanyo DAD 8. Born in 82/83, sounds quite nice after being serviced by my CD tech

And please, no attitude. I know CDP's have made huge strides since their introduction - I have some current players. This thread is about the old ones...

deaner33

New Around These Parts
Next is an Akai CD-01 obtained from Broonsbane in a trade. After servicing, this one plays pretty well, but not quite as good as the Sanyo.

deaner33

New Around These Parts
Last for tonight is the venerable Revox B 225. This one may be leaving soon. :) Otherwise it will be going to the tech's for the spa treatment.

That's it for now, maybe some more if there is any interest. Sorry about my poor photo skills, that's one talent I wish I had.

Deaner

Those old school vertical players are very cool to look at. I used to want one of those bad in the mid 80's.

I bet that Revox is a sweet player.

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
Hi Guys
We have to figure a way to get the pics scaled down. I hate having to scroll while I read and look.
Just one question. This is just me. Can CDPs be vintage? When I think vintage I think a little older than when CDP were even made. I'm not saying your wrong. I guess what I'm asking is when do you think something is vintage? I think the 60s and 70s as vintage. I'm not to the 80s yet. That may be because I'm an old fart though.

Larry

deaner33

New Around These Parts
speakerman1 said:
Hi Guys
We have to figure a way to get the pics scaled down. I hate having to scroll while I read and look.
Just one question. This is just me. Can CDPs be vintage? When I think vintage I think a little older than when CDP were even made. I'm not saying your wrong. I guess what I'm asking is when do you think something is vintage? I think the 60s and 70s as vintage. I'm not to the 80s yet. That may be because I'm an old fart though.

Larry

Yeah, vintage & cd players is always an interesting conversation. Considering all of the players pictured are over 25 years old, I call them vintage. Perhaps "early generation" players would be more accurate.

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
speakerman1 said:
Hi Guys

Larry
Yeah, I noticed that too. I'll look into it and fix 'er up, probably tonight

deaner33

New Around These Parts
Hmm, I don't remember the pictures being too large when I posted them. Do you need me to resize them or is it something you need to work on forum-wise?

deaner33

New Around These Parts
Web Police said:
I'll have to post mine sometime. I have a 1985 Onkyo CD player. It is kinda vintagie :mrgreen:

Would love to see it. One thing I like about the early players is that the designs (and cosmetics) were distinctive. They are also well built & weigh quite a bit.

As to the sound, they sound pretty good & generally have a warmth to them that the modern players don't. In all likelihood not as accurate, but definitely pleasant to these ears.

Great pics and beautiful machines Dean. My current oldest player is a Sony CDP-302 with a build date of September 1985. It's built like the proverbial brick shithouse and superb sound to boot.
So your Revox isn't a long-term keeper?

deaner33

New Around These Parts
BroonsBane said:
Great pics and beautiful machines Dean. My current oldest player is a Sony CDP-302 with a build date of September 1985. It's built like the proverbial brick shithouse and superb sound to boot.
So your Revox isn't a long-term keeper?

Well yes & no. It needs a recap & a freshening up to be at it's best. I got a good deal on it, so I'm still ahead even with the spa treatment. It's a really nice machine & the engineering design is cool. However, a forum member here is really interested in it & I've got more than enough CDP's...

Edit: What happened to that non-working Marantz?

The non-working Marantz is still in the to-do pile and it might be awhile before I get to it. We're moving soon so I've got those and other expenses to consider first unfortunately.

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
I have 2 older CDPs one is a Denon. I really like. I have always liked Denon CDPs. It is setting in a place reserved for a Carver CDP. It has been in a certain shop for almost a year now. Would like to hear it before I die. The other one I forget what it is. I use it to test the recording part of my decks I'm working on.

Larry

I have a nice older Denon too, the DCD-1520. Big bugger, weighs a ton.
Actually, all of my cd players are old. The newest would be my two Yamaha's with build dates in the early 90's (cdx-1030 and cdx-1060). Those two machines will be with me till the end of time.