"Vintage" CD players

Lazarus Short

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
Probably, but I'd have used Dynamat. For my Sony BD player, I ignored the tiny stick-on, cheapass feet, and set it on gen-u-wine Audio Quest sorbothane feet. For some extra mass, I set a digital timer on top - all which I had on hand at no cost.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
The Larrt sent a bunch of Dynamat to line the chassis of that SP 12 pretty amp I built for him. It looked expensive...

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I really don't know, but I don't suppose it can be too pricey if car stereo types use it dampen large areas of automobile sheet metal.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I just checked one source, and they want eighty bucks for a 32 X 54 inch sheet of 1/4 inch thick Dynamat. Yeah, fairly pricey...

Tagline
---
believe me, i would have greatly preferred that stuff, but the price is indeed prohibitive.

some years back, the foam rubber dampening sheet affixed to the underside of my PIO ELITE PD-91 CDP's aluminum top plate was beginning to deteriorate,
so i peeled that all away, and replaced it with felt pads similar to what used on this KYOCERA.

i wanted to use DYNAMAT then, but saw it was too pricey... and it clearly has not gotten any cheaper since, so what's and Audiophile-minded gear-tweaker on a tight budget to do?

Last edited:

BlazeES

Tagline
---

tivali

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
I used four of these to help support a welding machine mounted with four bolts on a custom portable welding trailer I have been building.

braxus

Journeyman
I've had my share of older CD players. That said I am one who believes the tech has gotten better the newer it is, because I find older players the sound is too sharp and grating. I did have a McIntosh 7009 which indeed sounded excellent for a 90s unit. Some say its sedate, but I found it rather SACD like. My only old player in my possession at the moment is a Luxman D-112. I bought one of these in the early 90s when it was out in late 80s. I sold it back to the store not long after, but always liked the look of the unit. I bought another one a year or so ago at a cheap price. I for a short time also had a Luxman D-105u hybrid tube CD player, but eventually sold it for a newer player. I have a soft spot for Luxmans. If I end up using the D112 player in a secondary system, it will be connected to a newer D/A converter. I currently use a Sony 5400 SACD player, but even that will eventually be connected to a Bryston BDA-3 D/A converter. The build quality of old players is not in doubt, just the sound. The sound only got good to me in the 90s. An Esoteric CD player from Teac was very good for its time too in the 90s. I also had an early 2000s Sony 670 SACD player, but its sound was just so so. Didn't have the dynamics of better players and CDs sound rather hum drum on it. Here are a couple pics.

Attachments

Last edited:

tivali

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
I'm still waiting to fix the lone knob and align the FM on mine.

Last edited:

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I've had my share of older CD players. That said I am one who believes the tech has gotten better the newer it is, because I find older players the sound is too sharp and grating. I did have a McIntosh 7009 which indeed sounded excellent for a 90s unit. Some say its sedate, but I found it rather SACD like. My only old player in my possession at the moment is a Luxman D-112. I bought one of these in the early 90s when it was out in late 80s. I sold it back to the store not long after, but always liked the look of the unit. I bought another one a year or so ago at a cheap price. I for a short time also had a Luxman D-105u hybrid tube CD player, but eventually sold it for a newer player. I have a soft spot for Luxmans. If I end up using the D112 player in a secondary system, it will be connected to a newer D/A converter. I currently use a Sony 5400 SACD player, but even that will eventually be connected to a Bryston BDA-3 D/A converter. The build quality of old players is not in doubt, just the sound. The sound only got good to me in the 90s. An Esoteric CD player from Teac was very good for its time too in the 90s. I also had an early 2000s Sony 670 SACD player, but its sound was just so so. Didn't have the dynamics of better players and CDs sound rather hum drum on it. Here are a couple pics.
Agree with you. My saying is 'old digital is just old digital'

Too bad there are no decent player units manufactured with US quality standards but at least companies like OPPO come close with quality US designs that are made offshore. I suppose they go hand in hand, you don't spend a lot of time on a piece of gear that will be obsolete in 3 years time...

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I still have a couple Sonys from 1986-6 and 1990 or so and CD-R drives from the late 90s.

DVDs are the only thing that slightly obsoletes a CD-burner and you could build them into a standalone CDP without much trouble.

To me, CD playback was just about perfected around 1991 anyway. Wow and flutter are virtually meaningless terms with CDs and it's not something you can compare to gnetic and physical contact media anyway. Buffers and converters have been good enough for twenty five years.

Other than OPPO, that leaves a good number of the 'audiophile' CD players commonly mentioned...the OPPO models mentioned here are multi-format and play CD, DVD-Audio and Blue Ray.