"Vintage" CD players

I can't get enough of vintage cdp's. Unfortunately, I don't come across them too often in my neck of the woods, not decent ones anyway. The hunt is always on though :blackknight:

deaner33

New Around These Parts
BroonsBane said:
I can't get enough of vintage cdp's. Unfortunately, I don't come across them too often in my neck of the woods, not decent ones anyway. The hunt is always on though :blackknight:
Too modest. You've come across more than I have. Only one of mine was local. At least the cold temps preserve yours...

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
Someone just sent me 2 CDPs. I know the HK works and is a HDCD. The other one I don't know and I can't remember the name. A mind is a terrible thing to waste. I think I'm getting senile. So now I have 6 CDPs. Almost as many CDPs as decks and TTs. The garage is getting full. One day my wife is really going to look at the garage and see everything. I have been a good boy and just bought parts this pay period so she has relaxed a little. I have been watching some Carver pres though. And I really don't think I'll ever get my Carver CDP back. Oh well a lesson learned. I hate to talk bad about people so I won't say what shop my CDP has been in since last Sept. The other one I just got is a single play Denon. I just tried it. It works. It feels like it weighs 20 lbs. It has all kinds of features. I'll have to find the manual for it. I might put it in the Carver rack and see how it sounds

Larry

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
My first cdp, a SAE 'natch, not the best sounding but built like a tank, unforunately the disk drawer was a weak design, and I knew nothing at the time, the transport lives on in a buddies computer drive, I think it's a 1985 design, I bought it in 1987

Attachments

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Web Police said:
deaner33 said:
SX-D7000! I have one of those. The CDP is nice too. ;) What model is it?

Yes it is a SX-D7000, I sold it a few years back. The CD player is a lowly Onkyo DX-200.
I'm still waiting to fix the lone knob and align the FM on mine.

speakerman1

Tagline
I'm looking for a single CDP for my Carver rack. I don't want to spend the money I did for my Shanling. I know Carver farmed out his CDPs. I had one; but I will never see it again. I have a Denon 6 disc sitting in there right now. Haven't played it in awhile. Found a Carver but I can't even afford a broken one. LOL I do like the Shanling though. Any suggestions. I would like an american made. The whole rack is american except the cassette decks.

Larry

speakerman1

Tagline
Well I remember why I like Denon CDPs. I hadn't played mine in a long time. So I pushed it a little bit yesterday. It is a 6 disc. It sounds good. It is in the Carver rack. It may be replaced I don't know yet. I couldn't pass up a Carver CDP for 15.50. Even if I am low on funds. That is the 1st audio component I bought in a long time that isn't a cassette deck. I tried to get an Arcam also; but I put my bid in and lost it. I wasn't about to jump on it. It went a little high for my wants and needs. I buy alot that is broken and try to either fix it or have it fixed. Alot of times I get it clean it up and try it and it works fine. We shall see.

Larry

Tagline
---
PIONEER PD-91 REFERENCE CD PLAYER (1987/1990)

PIONEER PD-M90X SIX-DISC REFERENCE CD CHANGER (1987/1988)

DENON DCD-1500 DUAL-MONO DIGITAL FILTERING CD PLAYER (1985/1987)

PIONEER PD-M6 SIX-DISC CD CHANGER (1985/1986)

i have owned several other vintage CDPs beside these four,
but these have been my only serious high-end keepers,
and the only ones i wish to mention.

the DENON DCD-1500 was my very first vintage high-end CDP.
i picked up a cosmetically rough, but beautifully functioning copy
for $13.00 at a SALVATION ARMY back around 2006/2007.

i eventually managed to replace it with a near-cherry condition copy,
complete with the optional rosewood side panels that DENON had
offered for all their higher-end CDP models in the mid-eighties, for $80.00 shipped.

i lubed-up it's transport mecha, replaced it's captive power cord
with a higher quality shielded cable i had around,
placed foam rubber blocks in strategic places to dampen the chassis,
and bummed a set of hollow isolator feet from a 1988 model DCD-910
to place over the small stub feet molded into the DCD-1500's
plastic base chassis.

this modded 1500 was my main CDP for a good long time,
until i acquired a cosmetically rough and non functional
PIONEER PD-91. i managed to bring it back to life by
commandeering a laser pick-up objective lens
for the -91's laser pick-up, which was missing it's lens.

every bit as good sounding as it looked cosmetically,
the 91 replaced the DCD-1500 as my main CDP.

it was eventually replaced, about 8/12 months back,
with a CHERRY, LOW-HOURS copy that i paid a premium for
on AUDIOGON.

this perfect PD-91 is now, and shall remain, as long as i can keep
it running with my stock of spare parts for it, my primary,
reference CD player.

finally, in regards to the two PIONEER CD changers,
i have always had a fascination with the mechanical design
of magazine-type CD changers, and the PIONEER models
are my favorite.

the PD-M6 is PIONEER's VERY FIRST changer model,
designed in 1985 and entered into the U.S. market in early 1986.
it is actually also the VERY FIRST consumer CD changer
to hit market, from any mfr.

the 1987 PD-M90X was the VERY FIRST ELITE/REFERENCE series changer,
directly based off of the direct successor to the PD-M6, the 1987 PD-M70.
the M90X holds pride of place in my system, alongside the PD-91...

tivali

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Counterpoint DA-10 DAC in use, manufactured in 1991... can be found for 500$ and upgraded in verious fashions. Love it.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I still have the Sony CDP-30 and 70 around, had a 1985ish Technics with MASH but it was a mechanical mess and the buttons were rather hard to press for being stiff. My first player was an Emerson portable that I patched in to the stereo but it was stolen shortly after I got it. My mother tried to get me a miniconsole with CD but they were defective junk and after two I asked her to kindly just get me a Sony, and she got a CDP-191 that lasted me more than ten years, in 1989.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
My first CDP was a Magnavox FD3030. I chose this one because of Philip's development of laser technology. The LaserVision video disc was a Philips development, so I thought that since Magnavox was a child company of Philips, their optical readback system would be a bit better than the other brands of the day.

I eventually gave it away after buying a Sony 5 disc changer.

(Stock photo...)
MAGNAVOX FD3030.jpg

Tagline
---
actual photos of my actual copy of the KYOCERA player shown above. lightly, perhaps pointlessly "modded" by me since,
oiled the real wood veneer side panels with OLD ENGLISH, layered the interior with self-adhesive thick felt pads,
and replaced the tiny plastic peg-feet with large, aluminum-ringed rubber feet from a mid-1970's KENWOOD turntable i once dredged out of the recyclers;