Vinegar Joe

Glantoir

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
He doesn't say a whole lot.
<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3G51tmiwMlk?feature=player_detailpage" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

Elkie Brooks :happy7: wow!!!

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
You had to dig deep into the archives for that clip, Pat. And a young Robert Palmer playing with Elkie. Does Elkie still sing?

Nando.

Glantoir

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I don't really know what Elkie is doing these days, I remember she went very MOR in the late seventies and eighties but nothing like the raunchy lady she was with Vinegar Joe.
I got my hands on battered up version of Vinegar Joe and have been listening to it a lot lately.
This is a nice clip from the great programme 'The Old Grey Whistle Test' shown on BBC TV nice choice of head gear don't you think?

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/i3zXXKqn1Qc?feature=player_detailpage" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

I've been working on songs to include on a new mixtape entitled Live at the BBC and I'm reviewing different recordings for it at the minute so this led me to looking for something by this great group.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Another project in the works, Pat - it sounds like another winner. Is your plan to pick some songs from rare appearances by lesser-known bands on the BBC?

Nando.

Glantoir

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I always liked the simple raw performances by some very well known bands appearing on different programmes by the BBC.
John Peel sessions and Old Grey Whistle Test being some of them.
I'm assembling tracks that firstly sound okay, and then will have a raw live sound about them and not as polished as the original studio recordings might have been.
I think you may remember Cowboy Song by Thin Lizzy from an old mixtape, now that would be a good example of the nice raw sound I would be looking for,
You know, the hiss from the amps and the snare drum vibrating from the notes of the bass guitar!

Glantoir

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Yes Lee, thats a very young Robert Palmer.
He was a great performer and a huge loss.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Rusty Red Armour seems to be emulating Mick Jagger, don't you think?

Pat: The "Cowboy Song" would be a fitting one to include. There are so many LPs I have picked up from bands of the 70's, that I hadn't owned until I heard their songs on mix tape trades, that I prefer the older stuff - less polished and more raw energy gets me every time.

Nando.

Glantoir

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Rusty Red Armour seems to be emulating Mick Jagger, don't you think?

Nando.
Very much so Nando, and you know that performance was most likely without any audience in the studio, just BBC technicians in their brown coats watching the time so they could go down to the pub!