Videophile's Wanted?

Tagline
Born and Raised In The 700 Watt Club.
I'd say 4k, 8k and 32K are years away from becoming mainstream. The sources like tv statoins are not going o want to upgrade again when you van't even see the difference from the average viewers distance. I bought a 60 inch led tv a year ago and have no plans to upgrade for ten years ar untill it stops wrorking. at that time if 4k or 8k's are the same price I'll buy one.
And I'd say I agree with you. If the next advancement in TV is near; it's going to be OLED. A Technology broadcasters, movie makers and so-on, won't have to modify anything to meet. I think since I am looking for a 65" to NOT replace, but FILL a spot for which I have nothing; Plasma is the way to go.

I appreciate the insight fella's!

Tagline
DOH! :shock: My last comment just got trumped after I got done typing it! Well........back to the drawing board?......................

http://news.yahoo.com/samsung-sells-110-inch-ultra-hd-tv-150-085617127--finance.html

Demand for U-HD TVs is expected to rise despite dearth of content while its price will likely come down faster than that of the OLED TVs. Much of the growth is forecast to come from China, a major market for the South Korean TV makers. Chinese TV makers have been making a push into the U-HD TV market as well.

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
My 18-year old Zenith CRT projector still does 1600 x 900...

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
DOH! :shock: My last comment just got trumped after I got done typing it! Well........back to the drawing board?......................

http://news.yahoo.com/samsung-sells-110-inch-ultra-hd-tv-150-085617127--finance.html

Demand for U-HD TVs is expected to rise despite dearth of content while its price will likely come down faster than that of the OLED TVs. Much of the growth is forecast to come from China, a major market for the South Korean TV makers. Chinese TV makers have been making a push into the U-HD TV market as well.
I think it is a bit of both Dave, with technologies that are traveling on parallel paths.

The HD format path can occur independent of rendering medium (Plasma, LED, OLED, CRT, etc.) because the format can be implemented in many different ways.

Likewise for a given HD format, manufacturers can stake out what medium they want to play in or specialize in, Pioneer liked Plasma, Samsung liked LEDs etc.

The HD format path takes a longer time to sort out and may be subject to a format war before it gets settled.

Higher resolution HD formats will be forced to play older formats, at least until the newer formats mature. High density formats always have the capability of playing lesser densities.

Cable may move aside to Ethernet IP as the broadcast method of choice in the future as well and that may play a significant role in the introduction of the newer higher density formats.

orange

Tagline
IP videoe has a lot of buildout to do before George Jetson gets it.

Tagline
I think it is a bit of both Dave, with technologies that are traveling on parallel paths.

The HD format path can occur independent of rendering medium (Plasma, LED, OLED, CRT, etc.) because the format can be implemented in many different ways.

Likewise for a given HD format, manufacturers can stake out what medium they want to play in or specialize in, Pioneer liked Plasma, Samsung liked LEDs etc.

The HD format path takes a longer time to sort out and may be subject to a format war before it gets settled.

Higher resolution HD formats will be forced to play older formats, at least until the newer formats mature. High density formats always have the capability of playing lesser densities.

Cable may move aside to Ethernet IP as the broadcast method of choice in the future as well and that may play a significant role in the introduction of the newer higher density formats.
I agree to all of that. Since I have no control over which maker will support what format; and no time machine.........it's up to me to just close my eyes, move my finger around, point and pick. In fact, I am leaning to samsung smart tv's because they have a core card that can act as a motherboard replacement for the brains of the tv. "future proofing" if you will. For the time being.............................

Tagline
Huh? It is here now...
It is. Yes. And the interfaces on smart tv's act as web browsers and app launchers. So you can stream straight from the tv itself. My woman already does this with netflix from the PS3 we have connected to a non-smart tv. Now that these services are built into the tv itself these days; cable and dvd players are on the down-trend as more and more people simply cue up an app on their device and stream it.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
It is. Yes. And the interfaces on smart tv's act as web browsers and app launchers. So you can stream straight from the tv itself. My woman already does this with netflix from the PS3 we have connected to a non-smart tv. Now that these services are built into the tv itself these days; cable and dvd players are on the down-trend as more and more people simply cue up an app on their device and stream it.
Totally agree and the world is moving more towards the internet as the service of choice. The cable or fiber will just be doing internet services in another 10 years until cable video fades into the past.

orange

Tagline
When you have IPv8 and a lot more bread. Podunk, Oregon just can't fold their flying cars into briefcases.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
When you have IPv8 and a lot more bread. Podunk, Oregon just can't fold their flying cars into briefcases.
Hey Steven, we have a lock on Podunk here in MA. That is where "Podunk town" originated. In the Brookfields...it is a region of the Brookfields in central MA.

Tagline
I chose the 64 inch samsung 8500 series plasma smart tv Sunday. Since panasonic has now suffered the same fate as pioneer, and the samsung is so close but better in many ways for me, i went for it. Supposedly at CES this year, panasonic announced it will soon have an LED capable of besting even their own best tv in the world. Their now defunct plasma line. The ZT series. That'll be something. Expensive too. For now; three grand on THIS dog is all I'm gonna shell out. I need to save my money going forward for new white oak gear. :)