Under - biasing on purpose

BlazeES

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
I'll be curious how it works for you, Tony. BTW - your tape is ready to ship, I'm just trying to get a decent J card for it but am about to give up and fill in the one that came with it. Old school.
I picked mine up to add EQ line-in capability to a dedicated headphone amp, without having to dink around with my Sony pre-amp settings which are perfectly dialed in for my Martin Logans. Between using different headphones and swapping in different phone amps, I wanted something compact, with good adjustment range and good reviews. From what I read, the Loki is perfect for what I intend on doing.

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Two members, here, are masters at the use of bias-tuning to get the utmost out of ferric tapes. Had they not told me, I would not have known this was even done when I played back their mix tapes.

Shout out to Sep and Vincent, who have plenty of experience in this regard.

Nando.

nakdoc

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
highly biased
The Loki is nothing more than the parametric EQ found in Yamaha C-85 preamps, and many others. I find variable bandwidth EQ quite useful.

I experimented once, which led to my practice of reducing the bias so the frequency I select will playback +0.5dB. I use 12kHz for type I, 15kHz for type II, and 15 or 18kHz for type IV (note peak bias point changes with test frequency used). The experiment was simply to record the selected frequency, rewind the tape, and play it back, noting the drop in level. In my experiment, the drop was not quite 0.5dB. Why does the level drop? Two reasons. The principle reason is called self-erasure. Each tape formula has self erasure, but the finer particle types have less than the standard types. The second reason is bias leakage into the playback amp, which after play EQ, can actually nudge the meter higher than the true level. Bias dies out completely in a second or two, which is why the rewind test works.
Cobalt doped tapes like SA-X have two types of partices, one of which is underbiased, adding a high frequency boost. An SA-X tape is not designed to produce a flat frequency response. To correctly set bias on those, you have to set it at +1 or +1.5 and then check for flat response at 12kHZ, 10k, and 8kHZ. Sometimes you have to go to +2 to get flat response in the upper treble.

vince666

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I will not be missed! :p
Two members, here, are masters at the use of bias-tuning to get the utmost out of ferric tapes. Had they not told me, I would not have known this was even done when I played back their mix tapes.

Nando.
thanks for the kind words, my friend. :)

anyways, i don't think i make something too special... i just try to bias the tape nicely.

that said, recorded frequency response isn't exactly my main parameter when biasing a tape.
At first, I try to bias a tape (any kind, not only ferrics) in order to maximize the MOL and the sensitivity at mid-low frequencies and then i plot a REC/PB sweep tone and see how things work regarding frequency response. If it's just OK, then i'll get both flat response and good MOL, otherwise i try and see what i can do.
If the tape, once it's biased to get max MOL and sensitivity at mid-lows, shows some added brightness then i leave it that way (there are quite a few tapes with boosted response on treble and if i raise bias even more to flatten it, then it can happen that the response falls down at extreme treble well before 20khz), if the tape (biased as above) shows falling response then i have to reduce bias a small bit to get good treble but i know i will lose some MOL on the mid-bass, then i'll have to lower recording levels a bit.

but if a deck allows me to also (manually) tune the REC EQ (and very few decks can do it, at least manually) then i can get both high MOL and flat response together, and, on decks with fixed REC EQ settings (the majority of them), such ideal situation happens with those tape models which just happen to match the (fixed) REC EQ setting of a given deck... so, certain tapes will work better on some decks than on others, and having more decks to choose is a nice way to exploit the various models of tapes out there by simply selecting the right deck(s) for a given tape.

Of course, to check all of the above, it's needed to make measurements on more tapes and decks... but also by tweaking things by ears will show you when a tape works particularly good (or bad) on a given deck.

Makymak

Journeyman
Where the sun meets the rocks and the sea
Vince has been helpful to me a lot of times, I have to admit!!!

I don't know which member Sep is, unfortunately! I struggle to learn members' real names since I'm new here!

I appreciate the interest all the members showed, here!!! I was quite afraid this could be a silly question but I was proved wrong! Thanks!

vince666

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I will not be missed! :p
Vince has been helpful to me a lot of times, I have to admit!!!

I don't know which member Sep is, unfortunately! I struggle to learn members' real names since I'm new here!

I appreciate the interest all the members showed, here!!! I was quite afraid this could be a silly question but I was proved wrong! Thanks!
thanks to you.
i am really glad when i can be useful.

and, btw, Sep is member VintageShadow.