Unboxwing of my Crown

BubbaH

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Nice amp dood :happy5:I would definitely be interested to try some of the bigger offerings from the Crown XLS series.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Robert: As you go up in the Crown XLS model #s the higher the power rating, correct? And better specs as well? Your Polk SDA2s are 4 ohm impedance, which most likely means you can see dips below 4 ohms in some frequencies. That is pretty demanding for most amplifiers.

Thanks for the pictures on the unveiling of your Crown XLS1500.

Nando.

eminence1963

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
I think this one should last awhile in my stack:happy4: It powers my Polk SDA2's nicely. Very loud and clear:happy5:

eminence1963

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Robert: As you go up in the Crown XLS model #s the higher the power rating, correct? And better specs as well? Your Polk SDA2s are 4 ohm impedance, which most likely means you can see dips below 4 ohms in some frequencies. That is pretty demanding for most amplifiers.

Thanks for the pictures on the unveiling of your Crown XLS1500.

Nando.
Correct. The higher the model # the more power. As far as better specs, they all spec the same except the 1000 has a higher noise floor. Its not by much and I would not notice it anyway. I got the 1500 for the power, for my Polks. But I cant put everything this Crown can offer to the Polks. The drivers have extended a couple of times too much, more than I care to do again. I know the limit on the volume knob so to speak. There have been complaints on the fan noise, but I have never had the fan turn on, on the one I have. There are 4 segment bars on the front panel and I have not been able to get it sustained at that 3 mark bar for more than a couple of seconds. Too loud. I have a sound level meter and have checked the SPL in my room and 120 DB is too loud for me anymore. MY room is a 12X12 bedroom. Its new it has a 3 year warranty and it will out last all the other stuff (maybe) I got in my rack. I also have still the Carver M1.0t still in service and a BGH 250D in the rack as well. They are all hooked into my HK AVR preouts. Most of the time I just have the Crown running though. I already have hearing problems from working on jet aircraft for the past 20 years so I need to be sane about how loud I listen to all this stuff. :toothy10:

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
The Crown site has a page on these amps with their power ratings and weight. I picked up a PSA-2 the other day and let me tell you, I might need to move on to these newer amps. I have 265/460 wpc and 57 pounds. These amps are all under 11 pounds each. The 1500 is about 9 pounds. Much easier to handle I'm sure.

Last edited: