Uh, that’s no Phase Linear...

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
No, no it isn’t.
B7F019D0-E379-49D8-BEC5-90BAE76B8FC7.jpeg
it’s sitting on top of the other one. To the left you can see my prided Thiels, in trash bags to keep the dust off.
At the bottom of the shot, in front of the amps is the rack I made. I need to make or buy something else, although it does match the speakers (both are white oak).

I have a box of new pickups, tuners and bridges from the guitar shop and I can’t locate it...

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I have a box of new pickups, tuners and bridges from the guitar shop and I can’t locate it...

Yeah, that don't surprise me

mlucitt

How about this one, the T+A Amplifier:
TA-M-40-HV.jpg
To achieve all this we have equipped our finest power amplifier with a circuit design which is unique in the world, combining classic analogue techniques, valve technology, High Voltage amplifier design and intelligent parameter control. The entire input amplification section is based on carefully selected High-End valves of the 6SN7 type, operating in Class-A mode. This results in a very harmonious sonic image, and instills the musical and tonal advantages of valve technology in the sound character of the M 40 HV. The input stage is designed as a symmetrical differential amplifier exploiting an all-valve cascode circuit. The subsequent voltage amplifier stage is a High Voltage (HV) J-FET amplifier circuit with triode performance characteristics, which also operates in pure Class-A mode. The result is excellent bandwidth and an agile performance which defines the sound qualities of the amplifier as a whole.

At the input side the current amplifier stages are based on MOSFET driver transistors whose performance curve harmonises superbly with the HV voltage amplifier stage. At the output side the current amplifiers are equipped with no fewer than twenty extremely high-performance ring emitter bi-polar transistors. These components satisfy the most extreme demands in terms of current supply capacity and bandwidth.

Specifications
Mono Power Amplifier
Nominal power into 8 Ohms 550 Watts
Peak power into 8 Ohms 570 Watts

$40,000 each (you need two for stereo)

J!m

Tagline
BOT
W

Yeah, that don't surprise me
What are you incinerating?

I have a lot of stuff, but as of today two fewer boxes of 78’s. Currently purging stuff. Don’t hold still too long or you end up at the curb!

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Those funny amps sound a lot like the counterpoints! But Counterpoint runs class A-B; but heavily biased in A. I don’t remember the crossover output wattage point. (They heat the room easily).

But I run them as balanced mono blocks, rather than bridged, to keep the distortion low. Roughly 500 watts into 8 ohms, with similar distortion level as the stock 250. 1000 into 4. Bridged is 700 if I recall correctly but the distortion is doubled. I never tried them bridged... Speakers are about 6 ohm nominal, so I don’t turn it up much, which keeps the amps in class A. I am a good bit under 40k invested.

First one I bought new- that was pricy. I think 3-3500. Second one I got used for 500.

Same concept as above- tubes for voltage and MOSFETS in my case. 16 per side (stereo) so 32 per mono block now. They are not available so if one blows up it becomes parts...

Not well known but Counterpoint even made their own transformers.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Which model of Thiels have you got? CS1 or CS2? That's a lot of horsepower from your Counterpoint amps.

Nando.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
They are the CS 2.2- pre Bose lawsuit to not use “2.2” as they somehow copyrighted use of 2.2 as a speaker designation. Later models were just 2 2 (no decimal).

Like I mentioned, there is tons of power available, but I keep it reasonable, so it stays in class A. But any transients are easily accommodated. Truly the first time bass drum sounds like a bass drum.

I really want to get it set back up again but I fear the little man will destroy something... I took it down when he ripped a knob off the Tascam CD duplicator. I was worried he’d eat it and choke.