Turn Table Suggestions

Tagline
---
I have decided to switch up the turntable situation and am in need of advice as I am fairly ignorant to them.
I am going to give my dual to a friend in need of a TT so first I would like to replace that with a respectable table in the $300-500 range. Then, later I would like to sell my technics and get another table like the first to match in quality and style.

I want something that has a wood plinth, or can be covered with real wood like the faux wood pioneer stuff or that can be dropped into a custom plinth altogether.
Thanks!

Edit: the PL530 and 570 are in my view but am looking to see what other kinds of tables can be had like those.

Last edited:

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Wow, that is a really nice and generous thing to do for a friend.

I'd check Craigslist and get some road time around town, sometimes you can be pretty lucky and surprised. And it's fun listening to other people's gear.

Tagline
---
Wow, that is a really nice and generous thing to do for a friend.

I'd check Craigslist and get some road time around town, sometimes you can be pretty lucky and surprised. And it's fun listening to other people's gear.
I'm just passing it on with that TT, I got a sansui 350a, that dual and some coral BX3 speakers for $40. The speakers and receiver went to my brother and I've had the TT since but would like something nicer now.

I just don't really know what to look for in terms of quality tables. I know the pioneers are nice that I mentioned and everyone talks about Thorens...

I have a B&O beogram RX at my house right now and it sounds good, looks nice but I want more wood plinth than what they have to offer.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
I just don't really know what to look for in terms of quality tables. I know the pioneers are nice that I mentioned and everyone talks about Thorens...
Denon DP-62L spoken here.
The 59 to 72 models in the line of DP's are solid performing tables if direct drive is your thing ... and built to last.

Last edited:

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
Musicdirect.com has some nice Regs's and Pro-jets on clearance right now. Might be worth a look and there are some in your price range. These are very solid tables without taking a big hit...

Tagline
---
excellent thanks for the suggestions.

I came across some live edge wood base turntables that a small operation make from rega tables as donors. This is very interesting...

Tagline
---
excellent thanks for the suggestions.

I came across some live edge wood base turntables that a small operation make from rega tables as donors. This is very interesting...
I am really digging these live edge slabs with the guts of a turn table installed.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...faae3c7fcf60db913dd56272f30b12d6o0&ajaxhist=0

these are the TT's that use rega as a donor:
https://www.engadget.com/2015/02/24/kickstarter-copyright-wood-turntable/

pretty cool but I would definitely go with a bigger slab, I have not played with a rega but they look super simple and would be easily placed into all kinds of custom plinths.
I do like the idea of a glass platter over the live edge slab

I don't know about having someone ship me a TT but this one is OBO for a RP2
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Reg...889721?hash=item1eb6eb40b9:g:QHkAAOSw65FXvP9u

Tagline
---
Pro-Ject does have wood base models but they're gonna cost you a bit more.
I would prefer to either re-veneer, make a custom plinth box or do a wood slab plinth rather than pay for one already done. but if they are good tables to look at I will certainly keep them in mind.

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
I'm a bit partial to the acrylic platters. No mat, use a heavy weight....really sucks the album to the platter. Love your idea...good luck.

bill7621

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF, y'all
A wood slab plinth would really look fantastic and I'm sure if you have basic woodworking skills you could come up with something really unique. Good luck.

Fishoz, I'm curious about the acrylic platters. Wouldn't they be a little hard on the face of the album possibly causing scuffs?

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
Consider also Thorens TD 160 / 145 .
You can find every spares and custom accessories , including plinths , dust cover , SME arm base and so on .
Visit ebay.de and ebay.it for instance .
Ciao
Marco

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
A wood slab plinth would really look fantastic and I'm sure if you have basic woodworking skills you could come up with something really unique. Good luck.

Fishoz, I'm curious about the acrylic platters. Wouldn't they be a little hard on the face of the album possibly causing scuffs?

I find that the lp is firmly adhered to the platter with the heavy weight. I never load a record onto a turning platter which is the only way I can see where there would be any slippage that could cause possible damage. I feel the lp is firmly coupled to the platter and I enjoy the sound.

orange

Tagline
I would use a mat, if I had one...but that's me.

Tagline
---
when you are talking about acrylic platters, this would be a replacement to the original glass platter that the rega comes with?
acrylic would be considerably softer than glass right?

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
I find that the lp is firmly adhered to the platter with the heavy weight. I never load a record onto a turning platter which is the only way I can see where there would be any slippage that could cause possible damage. I feel the lp is firmly coupled to the platter and I enjoy the sound.
Hmm... Question 2: What about "bowl" shaped warps- where the label is in contact with the center of the platter and the edge is 1/8" to 3/16" up in the air (sometimes all the way around?). Those are impossible- and won't adhere to any platter.

I've seen circumferential rings that help with that- but $1800?

(yeah... I know... trash the "bowl" and buy a new copy...)

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Be sure to adjust the arm height (if available) when adding slip mats. I just use my felt mat to cover the rubber mat on the Pioneer, as its just a dust collector anyways. I always remove it prior to playing vinyl.

orange

Tagline
Hmm... Question 2: What about "bowl" shaped warps- where the label is in contact with the center of the platter and the edge is 1/8" to 3/16" up in the air (sometimes all the way around?). Those are impossible- and won't adhere to any platter.

I've seen circumferential rings that help with that- but $1800?

(yeah... I know... trash the "bowl" and buy a new copy...)
That's right, the kids'll put 'trash' in that bowl...