Tube dampners

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
Has anyone used them? I know they stop microphoney. What other purpose do they have? I don't have microphoney that I can hear. So would there be any use in using them. Let me know before I spend money. LOL

Let me know what you think about it.

Larry

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
I have an SP-9 here that has the herbies tube dampers in it. I have seen pics of an preamp with what appear to be o-rings on the tubes. I think I am going to get a bag of o-rings for this and use them instead of padding the pockets of the audio tweak sellers.

I believe that the dampers will have an effect on the system. I'll probably try these herbies and see on my preamp since tweaking is something we do here. It is good to have others jump at the fancy tweaks and I benefit by finding out what they do and how to do the same on a budget.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
I doubt that tube dampers are like cryo. As for cryo, there may be something to it depending on how the metal cooled as the phase diagrams of the metal will show different metal structures depending on how it was cooled. This is why annealing, tempering and such work. That's the limit of my experience with this. But now that brake rotors and vacuum tubes get cryoed...geez, anything to get into the pockets of the consumer. At least some of that is work done in the US, a service industry country, we freeze stuff to sell it for more.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
manufacturing in any zone of EPA reach is an exercise in futility.

speakerman1

Tagline
Yes when you heat treat it is different. I have always wondered when they do the cryo. What keeps the molecules from retuning back to the previous state when it warms up.

Larry

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
I haven't looked at the materials science of cryo-ing where the answers would lie about the structure, but if one heats, cools and sets a molecular structure then it requires more heat to undo the structure as one follows the phase diagrams for the composition being treated.

so it is possible that there is some structure set by going the cryo route that does not undo when the item is heated to certain temps. Must be pretty high as tubes and rotors for cars both get red hot when I use them.

speakerman1

Tagline
If you look at aluminum that is heat treated you can see the boundaries of the metal. Also you can get corrosion between the boundaries.I hope I'm correct on the.It is called filiform corrosion. What happens is you get a white powder when it does it and it leaves pits. So what do they do to set the molecules after they are cryo'd? Can you reverse the process. As you can when you anneal metal?

Larry