Trouble w/Pioneer SX-828 as pre

Fishoz

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Always learning!
While doing some comparison using an Audio Alchemy Digital Decoder Engine on the CD player we started to experience static, not like a bad pot, just static. It got worse for a few seconds then nothing played, fm, tt or cd. Main power fuse did not blow, must be the pre in the 828. Anyone have a suggestion? Shouldn't there be a fuse for the pre somewhere?

i just took it down and put my adcom back in commission for now.

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
LOL...not in this case Ron. Not the same as scratchy pots.

No smoke at all. Still have to pop the bottom for visual. Unfortunately that will be the extent of my troubleshooting. Just want to know what to look for.

Tagline
---
The control amp /preamp / af unit has 2sa725 transistors which do this, replace with ksa992 transistors

also do the 2sc1312 transistors, swap in ksc1845 transistors.

Warning the pinouts of the replacement transistors are different than the originals

Also locate and remove all Sanyo Sky-blue solid aluminum capacitors, everywhere in the unit. Use Nichicon UKL caps.
These caps leak electrically more and more until they turn into short circuits.
Fred Longworth calls them capsistors.

In the hifiengine service manual, those caps are identified in the parts list as "CSSA" caps.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Are we fixing this or giving it a sex change?

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
I have a pretty good feeling Mark is going to see this amp before too long. It could use a good going over.

I will take a good look first......

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
A few years ago Jan and I were in Ripon, Wis. We had bought a,spray foam trailer and we're picking it up there. We were gonna slip down and see Mark for a day but we never wound up with enough time..

Tagline
---
I'm kind of on hiatus, and before that happened I had over a 4 year backlog.:shaking:

The hiatus is because my Dad died (unexpectedly) on Sept 3, and I have been pretty tied up handling the estate financials as well as emptying out the house (ALMOST single handedly) and figuring out the path to selling it (fix it up for max $$? try for sweat equity buyer? pit my wits against a flipper? ). Today I FINALLY got my middle brother in from Wisconsin, and he cleared me to attack with impunity two of three rooms that contained possessions of his. ("all my stuff that I want is now out"..)

Tomorrow morning is the lawyer's appointment.

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I've had too many of those estate things in the past 10 years. After the 2nd one Jani and I did a living trust. With a little prior planning on our parents part the process could have been a lot smoother. When we go there's a book of instructions on what happens to what....gotta be easier than what we went through...