TRADE my nice Akai GX-747 for RTM SM 911 tape (NEW).

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Well i posted it on a bunch of sites so I may as well do it here too..

I got this nice Akai GX-747 and I cleaned and lubed it and am in the process of testing it but that's it. I'm not recapping or anything else. It's a nice clean functioning unit. No reels or tapes are included. If you are interested, $75 Will get it shipped/insured. Now for the TRADE

I am looking for RTM SM 900/911 tape. If you are sitting on 15 reels of 1/4" and need an Akai, let's deal. The tape must be on new reels. If you have pancakes, you will need about 30 to do the deal.

I have to go to my other computer to post pics so give me a couple minutes. I have posted some pics of it already in my last thread. I will take more and post them. Please, no banter or BS. I can get that off ebAy. PM me with a tape trade offer. Don't ask if I want to trade for a 1972 Honda accord, I need tape, not trouble.

Pics coming in a few. DON'T EXPECT A NEW DECK. It's nice not new.... it works great. No warranty, and I'll insure the hell out of it so if it gets banged up n shipping, we will get you reimbursed. I have a FedEx account so I have no problems with them.

The wood sides are bumped and bruised (i plan on fixing in a week or 2 but it will drive the price up).

There are some scratches in the paint although the face in pretty nice (I may paint in a few weeks but will drive up the price)

I recorded and played back, works fine. Does not sound as good as my Tascam 42NB (which I'm selling since I have 2).

PM me if interested

IMG_5382rs (2208 x 1656).jpg IMG_5383rs (2208 x 1656).jpg IMG_5384rs (2208 x 1656).jpg

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Quick work, Perry. Was it bought outright or did you work out a direct swap for tape?

Nando.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Quick work, Perry. Was it bought outright or did you work out a direct swap for tape?

Nando.

I didn't get any bites so i just stuck it up on the bay... Sitting at about $650 with 23 hours left. It didn't cost me but $20 for gas and some hours for cleaning. And the $30 I put into belts for the Sony. I have the new Mickey Mouse dust cover in near perfect condition that I didn't put up with it. That's probably worth another $175-$200.... I'll find somebody who needs it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/392245811342?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I was planning on looking for a RS-1700 for the house. It's nice to have a slow speed for more hours of jamming. I'll put my New albums on the 42 that I'm keeping and use the auto reverse deck for slacker or something.

Elite-ist

Staff member
I expect in the last few hours of the auction, the bids might climb to about $1K. Good choice to sell the dust cover, separately. I sold my Akai GX-747 (with extras) for $1500 about four years ago.

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
I would put the dust cover up for auction, soon, with Akai GX-747 fever going strong. A fair price for the deck.

Nando.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Nando (reading between the lines here...), if that 747 had the bottom door and the dust cover included - perhaps even with some reels... 1500 clams would have been in the cards. Kind of hard to tell what the net price effect is with and without pristine side panels.

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Staff member
Akai GX-747s are a hot commodity because of its looks. The playback and recording performance of the GX-747 is good. With the bottom door intact and the dust cover, perhaps, into the $1500 range. Side panels for some buyers is a non-issue.

Here's what was done on my own GX-747 after the buyer bought my deck:

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
That is three laminated pieces, together, to make a side panel. It's called the "Oreo Sandwich Panel."

Nando.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Can you imagine that layered look on a black 747, with gold - or orange - or even yellow down the center ?