TOTL to ZERO

Lazarus Short

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
I was cutting and stripping the wires for the innards of the Jensen speakers I have been working on, and listening to a CD while doing it. I tried some exotic stuff an audiobuddy gave me, but it was difficult and stripping broke the wires too many times. Settled on Radio Shack Megacable, 16 gauge, of which I had a lot, picked up cheap at a thrift years ago.

Well, while cleaning up, the CD began to skip, and it only got worse with time. I knew this day was coming - the player in question is the Denon DCD-3300, TOTL in its day, and built like the proverbial tank. It was fine for a long time, then the analog section got noisy and I decided to use it as a transport until that went bad. Today's the day. I hurried to put the five buck Pioneer in its place, forgetting that a high-grade Sony is already in the system. I had always thought of it as a movie machine, but since it is a DC/DVD player, I'll need to do a shootout. As it is, the Pioneer has an interestingly different sound, and I suppose I have really been hearing the DAC all this time. It's the end of an era...

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
I'm still enjoying my Sony S9000es DVD/SACD player. Bought it in 2001 and have been wondering about its longevity for a few years now. I've gotten my money's worth and then some and still enjoy its sound. But one does wonder when that day is coming.

When it does, I suspect I'll rip everything I haven't and add it to the computer and the DAP. But I'll kinda miss those discs.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm still enjoying my Sony S9000es DVD/SACD player. Bought it in 2001 and have been wondering about its longevity for a few years now. I've gotten my money's worth and then some and still enjoy its sound. But one does wonder when that day is coming.

When it does, I suspect I'll rip everything I haven't and add it to the computer and the DAP. But I'll kinda miss those discs.
Mine is the S7000, and as good as I thought the Pioneer unit was, and it was good, the Sony left it face-down in a muddy ditch. I believed for too long that the Denon was the best I had.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
That upper level Sony stuff was quite fine. They were involved with the format from the start with Philips. They had a handle on it.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
That upper level Sony stuff was quite fine. They were involved with the format from the start with Philips. They had a handle on it.
Yeah, the S9000 was number two in the lineup behind that SACD-1, IIRC. It is a very solid deck. I certainly liked the sound of my Acurus CD player, but the drive failed prematurely - like within 3 or 4 years.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
Pioneer DVD players across the board make great sounding CD players. One sleeper is the DV-45. Also, if you want some real fun, play a CD on an old laserdisc player like the CLD-3070.
Your Denon uses a Sony pickup, so you can get it going fairly easily.
Thanks! I may just try that one of these days...