Too much bias on PL400 series 2

gene french

Veteran and General Yakker
guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
I recently tore into a PL400 S2 and found several components exhibiting excessive heat.

Fortunately the FR in FR4 stands for Fire Retardant...

We'll be looking at all the spontaneously combusted Teslas that took out an entire apartment complex...

Remember the "pinto scare"?
of course...one of the few lemons i didnt own...closest i got was a 66 falcon...

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I want an early Dodge Colt to put Dodge's new 1500 HP crate motor into...

I saw one back in the day with a 440 in it at the drag strip. The guy had to cut the dash and firewall out to fit it. But it fit...

gene french

Tagline
I recently tore into a PL400 S2 and found several components exhibiting excessive heat.

Fortunately the FR in FR4 stands for Fire Retardant...

my latest 8 fin was rather toasty once upon a time!!!

Attachments

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
i think a mountain is being made out of a mole hill...phase linear got the name flame linear from the lack of a speaker protection circuit thus flaming speakers...as is published on this site...that is easily remedied...dont remember any warnings from underwriters labratory about a threat to public safety...some people as myself like the challenge of restoring original equipment as one would restoring a 48 harley over the newer more technological advanced models ....dont think its very fair to keep shaming the people that dont share certain philosophies...that think differently than others...
in case no one has noticed...the original poster has not posted of late...maybe he thought he would get support in a forum for the things he loves...instead of shamed because they differ...in case no one has noticed there are several other contributors missing...hmmmm....wonder why??
i thought this was a forum to help support the hobby that so many have come to embrace...
maybe there needs to be a splinter group started restricted to one way thinkers and doers...engineers and electronic geniuses only...black tie group so to speak...that those of us with "diahreah of the mouth" would be not be allowed admission...
as for myself...i think every poster has something of value to offer and is owed the respect to be heard...since i pay for my mistakes...the final decision is mine and mine alone...and should be equally respected...makes me wonder what will be said in 50 years about the latest and greatest technological advances we have offered to us today???

Gene In case you missed his very first post, Here it is. Notice it say ANY SUGGESTIONS???? He's got an overheating amp that is shutting itself off and he got "Rig it so it works" from some members, and then he got the best suggestion... GUT IT. Not everybody is a cheap bastard and MIGHT want to fix it correctly.

I have a PL400 series 2 that runs very hot...infact it shut off earlier tonight. I knew it was running warm and planned on checking bias when necessary...it was necessary. I checked the voltage across the 10Ω resistor as needed and it was over 550mV on left and 510mV on the right. I adjusted the potentiometers but could only bring both sides down to around 470mVs. It works and sounds good but should I be concerned?

any suggestions?

thank you in advance....

John W Myers

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
i think a mountain is being made out of a mole hill...phase linear got the name flame linear from the lack of a speaker protection circuit thus flaming speakers...as is published on this site...that is easily remedied...dont remember any warnings from underwriters labratory about a threat to public safety...some people as myself like the challenge of restoring original equipment as one would restoring a 48 harley over the newer more technological advanced models ....dont think its very fair to keep shaming the people that dont share certain philosophies...that think differently than others...
in case no one has noticed...the original poster has not posted of late...maybe he thought he would get support in a forum for the things he loves...instead of shamed because they differ...in case no one has noticed there are several other contributors missing...hmmmm....wonder why??
i thought this was a forum to help support the hobby that so many have come to embrace...
maybe there needs to be a splinter group started restricted to one way thinkers and doers...engineers and electronic geniuses only...black tie group so to speak...that those of us with "diahreah of the mouth" would be not be allowed admission...
as for myself...i think every poster has something of value to offer and is owed the respect to be heard...since i pay for my mistakes...the final decision is mine and mine alone...and should be equally respected...makes me wonder what will be said in 50 years about the latest and greatest technological advances we have offered to us today???

AND, the flame linear post was made tongue in cheek, maybe you can try and read it again.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I pulled a series II apart several months back, the bulk cap (one of them) blew up, I wouldn't worry about a fiberglass control board. That would be the least of my worries. It made a mess and I know what it could have done with the right conditions.

gene french

Tagline
Gene In case you missed his very first post, Here it is. Notice it say ANY SUGGESTIONS???? He's got an overheating amp that is shutting itself off and he got "Rig it so it works" from some members, and then he got the best suggestion... GUT IT. Not everybody is a cheap bastard and MIGHT want to fix it correctly.

I have a PL400 series 2 that runs very hot...infact it shut off earlier tonight. I knew it was running warm and planned on checking bias when necessary...it was necessary. I checked the voltage across the 10Ω resistor as needed and it was over 550mV on left and 510mV on the right. I adjusted the potentiometers but could only bring both sides down to around 470mVs. It works and sounds good but should I be concerned?

any suggestions?

thank you in advance....

John W Myers
sniff...evidently you missed his follow up post...
and he asked for suggestions...not a sermon on life choices...you keep posting all pl equipment is junk and needs to be gutted and disposed of in some nuclear waste disposal site....not everyone feels that way...but according to you any one who doesnt is a stupid, and cheap bastard ...wow...
cheap bastard i am...yep...and proud of it...retired 20 years ago to one of the most desirable places on earth...it has served me well......got it from my dad...he was a cheap bastard too...lol
no room in your world for anybody who doesnt agree with your beliefs...
i dont believe it was a tongue and cheek remark...you have made it quite clear how you feel about the equipment...

gene french

Tagline
I pulled a series II apart several months back, the bulk cap (one of them) blew up, I wouldn't worry about a fiberglass control board. That would be the least of my worries. It made a mess and I know what it could have done with the right conditions.
the capacitor in a 50 year old machine malfunction...must be the second coming...stop the presses...theres a miracle that needs the colomn inches!!!

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
the capacitor in a 50 year old machine malfunction...must be the second coming...stop the presses...theres a miracle that needs the colomn inches!!!
Shows what you know, they usually vent not explode. This is some of the collateral........ You think this could have started a fire???

melted.jpg

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
but i believe you said .." the bulk cap (one of them) blew up, "
Yes, they usually vent, not explode. That amp went to the garbage after pulling the transformer. The chassis was all corroded, smelled terrible, and the meter was melted and burned. Can you imagine having to breath that shit if it blew in the living room and you had to scramble to make sure your house didn't go behind all the acrid smoke? Sorry if I care about people losing dogs or kids or furniture or houses, but these amps are dangerous if not done correctly. I don't make a penny telling people to upgrade them before it kills you. It's the only way to cure the Marvin dude from showing up. That's the reason I'm gruff about the amps. My apologies but it it saves 1 dog, they can all kiss my dick.

gene french

Tagline
Yes, they usually vent, not explode. That amp went to the garbage after pulling the transformer. The chassis was all corroded, smelled terrible, and the meter was melted and burned. Can you imagine having to breath that shit if it blew in the living room and you had to scramble to make sure your house didn't go behind all the acrid smoke? Sorry if I care about people losing dogs or kids or furniture or houses, but these amps are dangerous if not done correctly. I don't make a penny telling people to upgrade them before it kills you. It's the only way to cure the Marvin dude from showing up. That's the reason I'm gruff about the amps. My apologies but it it saves 1 dog, they can all kiss my dick.
i believe you make part of your money by selling these dangerous remnants on ebay and replacing them with new components...would explain your enthusiasm...
i doubt very seriously you have empathy for others dogs furniture or house...or at the very least mine ..