Today's Project Panasonic RX-5040

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
Stuwee said not to have idle hands in the other thread so here is another I just finished this afternoon. It's a Panasonic RX-5040 boombox from college that I have running once again. Mainly just needed new belts, a good cleaning of the controls, and it's off and running. Forgot about this one having a tape as it has been used as a radio for the past decade or so. It's so cool to see these old machines work once again.

[attachment=0:1m7yh9mq]Img_0528_rs.jpg[/attachment:1m7yh9mq]

Attachments

Fast Forward

Forum Moderator
Staff member
rtp_burnsville said:
Stuwee said not to have idle hands in the other thread so here is another I just finished this afternoon. It's a Panasonic RX-5040 boombox from college that I have running once again. Mainly just needed new belts, a good cleaning of the controls, and it's off and running. Forgot about this one having a tape as it has been used as a radio for the past decade or so. It's so cool to see these old machines work once again.

[attachment=0:1u7nmxrt]Img_0528_rs.jpg[/attachment:1u7nmxrt]
Nice Save Robert :thumbleft:

Fast Forward

Forum Moderator
Staff member
rtp_burnsville said:
FF,

Thanks! So are you out enjoying the daily change of seansons in this goofy state?

Robert
Nope,Saturdays are reserved strictly for Music Enjoyment,,Mostly Classical FM from 99.5 MPR,,I deal with Assholes all week and this is my alone time,,

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Hi Robert,

Boomboxes like that were the rage in the 80`s. Because a lot of us did not step out of the 80`s we held onto them. Good job in keeping yours alive. I have a Panasonic RX-7000.

Nando.

Fast Forward

Forum Moderator
Staff member
rtp_burnsville said:
FF,

Can certainly relate to the A-holes... However, I thought they all worked with me! Agree music is a good way to forget them all.

Robert
The probably work with you but they come to my Deli for lunch,,

Elite-ist

Staff member
Not long after I found mine at the local mini flea market, I began checking valuations for Panasonic RX-7000 boomboxes. I was astounded to see one sell for over $1000, and mine was in better shape. That was over 4 years ago. So, many of the better boomboxes do fetch a good dollar. I used mine in my 1971 GS, sitting in the front bucket seat, for a few long trips to my best friend`s place 5 hours away. I still have the factory AM radio in the GS.

Nando.

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
Elite-ist said:
Not long after I found mine at the local mini flea market, I began checking valuations for Panasonic RX-7000 boomboxes. I was astounded to see one sell for over $1000, and mine was in better shape. ......

Nando.
Wow, Nando.... Much better return than my retirement accounts, especially after the past few years. Maybe I should just collect a few more toys and I'll be all set for retirement. Ha, even if the market goes bust at least I would have some enjoyment out of the adventure. :D

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
rtp_burnsville said:
In the end the ginormous blitzkrieg machines tend to lose to straightforward ones like this one!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I am of two minds liquidating a lot of my surplus equipment, but my brothers-in-audio be in need.

Elite-ist

Staff member
rtp_burnsville said:
[quote="Elite-ist":169xpb5h]Not long after I found mine at the local mini flea market, I began checking valuations for Panasonic RX-7000 boomboxes. I was astounded to see one sell for over $1000, and mine was in better shape. ......

Nando.
Wow, Nando.... Much better return than my retirement accounts, especially after the past few years. Maybe I should just collect a few more toys and I'll be all set for retirement. Ha, even if the market goes bust at least I would have some enjoyment out of the adventure. :D[/quote:169xpb5h]
Yup, and my mutual funds have sucked big time. I'm still a couple percent behind of where I started four years back. If I had cashed in at the low point, I would have lost 23% of my investment. Investment is the wrong term to use. Lotteries is where it's at!

Vintage anything is increasing in value, just not us old people.

Nando.

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
Nando, You have done much better on your funds. That hit a couple years back was the rough one here, I am still in the minus 25-30% in a couple of funds and they aren't moving up! Agree not what I would call an investment, we won't discuss housing either as that is even a bit worst. Just so glad I have zero debt.

I checked your boombox, that is a pretty nice one. When I bought mine I wanted the smallest but nicest one I could afford as I would drag it around to record bands. Played it for a few hours last night and its working good, even the autostop feature. :)

Robert

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Hang on to that rig Robert, just having the cassette part re-belted and working has increased it's value big time, people pay for nice, clean units that work properly. My two Marantz 2270 receivers have doubled in value since I bought them.

Nando, you put the seatbelt around your boombox in the GS right?

Elite-ist

Staff member
stuwee said:
Hang on to that rig Robert, just having the cassette part re-belted and working has increased it's value big time, people pay for nice, clean units that work properly. My two Marantz 2270 receivers have doubled in value since I bought them.

No, I didn't belt it up, even though it weighs as much as some of the girls I pick up.... well, maybe not that young. Robert is right; it's a bit on the large size. It swallowed 10 D cells. I"ll post pictures of it once I unbury it from the upstairs storage room. I might even do a gangsta pose with it on my shoulders wearing my canottiera.

Nando.

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Elite-ist said:
stuwee said:

No, I didn't belt it up, even though it weighs as much as some of the girls I pick up.... well, maybe not that young. Robert is right; it's a bit on the large size. I might even do a gangsta pose with it on my shoulders wearing my canottiera.

Nando.
Oh Yeah!! Daddy!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
NOTE TO STU;-------" Preoccupation with members of the same sex may indicate latent gayness"