Toasted 400 still toast

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You'll blow your ears out kid
Just need to get the control board back now... how is it looking, you had a chance to check it out yet?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Ran the right channel on the tester all day yesterday Ray with good results. Will run the left channel the same way next.

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Very good.... I am pretty sure I got all the blown stuff replaced on it, all the damage was on the right side, didn't find anything on the left side

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Do you think you will be able to get that back to me this week? I just went over the speaker protection board and everything seems ok with it.

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Cool maybe will have it up running by this week end.... We are going to get clobbered here by a snow storm beginning tomorrow evening into Wednesday

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
God's dandruff on the Oregon Coast and headed east as well.

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Break out the corduroy shorts!

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Clean up is all done with the snow got 12" but drifts up to 24"
av32.JPG

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
The mail came right when I finished plowing and the control board got back to me from Joe.... Thanks Joe.

I got the board all back in and powered it up at first all looked well 0V at outputs got the bias set to .355 but the rail voltage dropped from around 76V with just the backplane boards in down to about 57V I don't think that is right to me it should still be up over 70V?
cb1.JPG

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
The mail came right when I finished plowing and the control board got back to me from Joe.... Thanks Joe.

I got the board all back in and powered it up at first all looked well 0V at outputs got the bias set to .355 but the rail voltage dropped from around 76V with just the backplane boards in down to about 57V I don't think that is right to me it should still be up over 70V?
View attachment 33640
With your DBT in correct Ray?

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Yea Joe same DBT I used when I did the backplanes..... to me though the DBT was dim but seemed to look just a tad bit brighter than usual

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Yea Joe same DBT I used when I did the backplanes..... to me though the DBT was dim but seemed to look just a tad bit brighter than usual
If you turn your bias pots all the way down you should see that voltage climb back up Ray. Try it.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Only goes up to 61V with bias all the way down...
You are seeing the effect of the bias current and the DBT you have installed in line Ray. That is what I wanted to point out to you by having you adjust the bias voltage down. Even at minimum adjustment, you probably have a bias voltage measurement in the region of 0.2-0.25V present which is dragging down your B+ and B- with the DBT in place.

The effect and purpose of the DBT is to ruin the load regulation of the power transformer in your amp and turn it into a voltage source with a big source resistance.

If you want to see the effect even more, jumper each bias transistor C-E which defeats all the bias current altogether. You will see the voltage get closer to your backplane only value, although you still have the load of the control board present so it will not go all the way up.

If you do this experiment, do it very carefully as you do not want to blow up your amp with a slipped wire.

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Ahhhh ok, so when I take the DBT out of the mix the voltage should go up to where it should be then right?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Yes Ray, the purpose of the DBT is to create a high impedance voltage source out of the transformer and give you visual indication that the caps have charged and settled back to an idle current. You will have to set you bias current again when operating without DBT. I normally dial the bias all the way down before removing the DBT and applying normal line voltage.

Again bring it up on a Variac if you have one.