Think I need a fan on PL 400 series 1

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You'll blow your ears out kid
Been pushing the 400 today keeps shutting down from heat... think I need a fan or 2 on the cooling fins... what would be best to have fans pushing air down from the top of amp or straight in from the back??

Billboard

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I run my 400 8 fin into a 4 ohm load, I use a fan on it all the time.

If you are not running into a 4 ohm load you may want to check your bias voltage, if this is off you will generate heat.

I just use a 120 volt desk fan hitting from the back, the fan switches on with one of those automatic power strips.

fan.jpg

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Never had this problem when I drove these same speakers (8 ohms) with my Carver TFM 55.....

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You mean bias voltage on the control board? I have a few cooling fans kicking around somewhere in a box will have to go hunting..

I run my 400 8 fin into a 4 ohm load, I use a fan on it all the time.

If you are not running into a 4 ohm load you may want to check your bias voltage, if this is off you will generate heat.

I just use a 120 volt desk fan hitting from the back, the fan switches on with one of those automatic power strips.

View attachment 25878

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
The heatsinks on the PL's were wholly inadequate anyway.....and they havent gotten better. I even built some copper heatsinks, still had to force cool them.

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
The Clair Brothers used to use a truckload of dry ice for a concert to keep the amps cool. Could get expensive though and the threat of frostbite sux.

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
The things we'll do to keep the music crankin......... How's about a CO2 fire extinguisher? And maybe a scantily clad Nubian to do the hozin????? NAVO??????

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Well could set it in a deep freezer cranked all the way to max freeze maybe cut a sqare hole in front of freezer to put a glass there so I can still watch the meters pegged out

The things we'll do to keep the music crankin......... How's about a CO2 fire extinguisher? And maybe a scantily clad Nubian to do the hozin????? NAVO??????

Tagline
---
I run my quasi comp 400 into a set of klipsch KG4's which are 6 ohm. At nice loud volumes, after 45 minutes it gets pretty toasty. But it hasn't shut down yet. I will probably get a fan for this. Lol

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I think that red area on those meters should be happy faces :toothy5: instead of red lines

That's because you are one sick puppy :happy3:, you need help buddy! It's just not normal to have the meter's pegged 24/7 :violent1:

:love3: ya!!!!

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
new fans

Built this over the week end works real well amp running a lot cooler now