THE Crossover Thread

mr_rye89

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
I’m trying to figure out what the disadvantages of actives are besides needing more amplifiers (audiophoolery aside)

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I’m trying to figure out what the disadvantages of actives are besides needing more amplifiers (audiophoolery aside)
Additional phase distortion is the usual downside. Mutlipole filters introduce a bunch of phase shift.

Single pole filters do as well but much less so...

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Additional phase distortion is the usual downside. Mutlipole filters introduce a bunch of phase shift.

Single pole filters do as well but much less so...
I bet Lee’s fancy Ashly has delay/phase adjustments for each channel...

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
It doesn't work that way Andrew...
Would you mind explaining Joe? I think you’re talking about phase between the outputted drivers signals which can be corrected by mS delays which most active crossovers have or by physically moving the relationship of the drivers ahead or behind each other? I’d be interested to know what I’m missing.

George S.

I just ordered that MiniDsp 4x10HD that been listed on eBay for a few days. Looks like a 1RU unit.
I was holding out for a Dirac Live MiniDsp DDRC 88A with Bass Management, but they're out of production due to parts supply issues and used ones are rare and over priced.
I do have a MiniDsp Umik-1 mike with the correction file.
So, been reading about Dirac Live versus using REW.
Consensus of pro sound guys seems to be Dirac is very good, but better results can be had with proper use of REW.
My prior experimenting with REW was rather disappointing. So I need to learn more about it.
Going to build a rack out of square steel tubing to hold the 4 amps and rest of the system.
Bypass the JBL Millenniums crossovers, and pursue this. It's finally time.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
You'll be surprised just how good itsounds....or how bad. Depending. At one point today had to factory reset the dbx...I was that fucked up. Put the Ashley back in line to straighten my ear out...
George, its were worth the trouble when its right..
My ears dont agree with the " Auto Level Assist" and the "Auto EQ" of the dbx. .not many live venues run kornerhorns, so their presets are way off...

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
You'll be surprised just how good itsounds....or how bad. Depending. At one point today had to factory reset the dbx...I was that fucked up. Put the Ashley back in line to straighten my ear out...
George, its were worth the trouble when its right..
My ears dont agree with the " Auto Level Assist" and the "Auto EQ" of the dbx. .not many live venues run kornerhorns, so their presets are way off...

Never had much luck with the auto eq function in my experience