The Bose Pagodas.....

30Weight

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Mentioned my latest audio weirdness to Bob (eminence1963) the other day,he suggested I share it here,so we're both to blame for yet another 901 thread.Been carting a pair of Series 1s,and the Dynaco 416 I drove them with,around since the early 70's.I think they are a breeding pair since I now have 5 sets of them,3 of them Series 1s.Only have my original S1 Bose eq for the S1s.Have the appropriate eqs for the later series sets.Haven't listened to them for 10yrs or so,decided to give them a good hearing.Set them up in the "loud room"...as the exGF christened it.Started with 1 pair Series 1s.It was like sitting in with an old friend....unfortunately I run with a different crowd these days.The L65s and DQ-10s have retuned what I expect from a speaker system.

Started with 1 pair Series 1s,w/eq.Yeah,loud and a bit muddy.Added a second pair....the mud just got thicker.Started rooting thru the overflow room,see what I could come up with.Rev Lvl B was adding an ADC paragraphic eq (Soundshaper 3 Mk 2) and a pair of Boston Acoustic PV400 subs.Dropped the base from the 901s to lighten the load on the 901 mids.Used the sub amps and ADC to adjust accordingly.Still had some top end misfires under load.Bottom end a little busy too.Suckers sure get loud tho!

Rev Lvl C was the deletion of both the Bose and the ADC eqs.Substituted in an old SAE 2800 parametric eq.Gives me up to 16dB gain,and much more adjustment,across the spectrum.We're cookin' with gas now! The fun part begins.Grabbed a knee high stack of cd's,various genres and artists I enjoy.Sat in my favorite OLL (Optimized Listening Location) for hours and dialed the system in.Cleared the midrange muddle up,the high frequences shine and the base is sharp......all the way loud.They retain their "live" sound,close my eyes and the band is in the room with me...and I have the best seat.

The room,and placement,have certain limitations."Sounds" like I've overcome them.The middle pair of 901s are currently inactive.They serve to elevate the top pair to approximate suspended speakers.As I have a suspended ceiling in that room,this was about as far as I wanted to go in that direction.Rev Lvl D,should I be inclined,would be an active electronic crossover in circuit.Sounds good now tho,I keep finding myself wandering downstairs just give a listen....don't really miss the L65s and DQ-10s.

System used:parasound P3 preamp,Denon POA-2200,Heathkit AD-1701,Teac X-1000R,Otari MX5050BII2,Mcintosh MR-80,Paramax M5100EX,Yamaha YP-211,Nakamichi 700,Cambridge Audio Azur 640C.......and what I've mentioned above.

Lee
P1010082.jpg P1010086.jpg

Rat44

Journeyman
I like your setup.
Used 4 901's once.
It was impressive driven with PL 400's.
Ah,the good old days when we didn't know better.
That SAE is a great unit.

30Weight

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Thanks Rat44.The 901s were always party pleasers,mine got well seasoned back in the day.The SAE goes back to those days too,known it since new.Friend of mine got it when the band broke up in the late 70s.Went back into cardboard then until he called me about a year back.Asked if I wanted it...for free,and for old times.UPS managed to damage it in shipping so I had to repair it.I have other systems in other rooms for critical listening.This one is my FTW escape pod.

BubbaH

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
FTW (F*ck The World)?

Nice setup, I like the Continentals.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
30 Bob, first set of speakers I ever bought that were brand new. Put a Spec 2 on em and hung em from the roof(ceiling, whatever) good stuff!!