The $172,000-per-pair Speakers

Bob Boyer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Looks like it could be an interesting speaker. Will never hear it, sorry to say, but I can say that I have heard a $150,000 set of Pipedreams - with the subs - that had me believing that Johnny Cash was playing for me in the listening room. And had me thinking about going to Vanderbilt to sell a kidney.

"Real" isn't just what we psych ourselves into believing it is what we're hearing if we're listening to recorded music. It can be achieved but it comes at significant cost. I daresay a pair of these would be in my listening room if I ever won the lottery - but short of that all I can say is it's good to see people chasing "real", whatever the cost of that exercise may be.

pennysdad

Tagline
I've totally lost the plot....
I guess 'real' is in the ears of the beholder.
I used to record almost everyone I did live gigs for on the night.
Then I'd play it back through the same sound system that I used on the night or a facsimile of, at home.
With a bit of tweaking I could get it to sound pretty damn good. It was 'real' enough. You'd swear the band was back on stage.
But then again, systems aren't cheap, but you sure would get a lot more bang for your $150K.
You just need really big rooms to set it all up.... ;)

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Bob, I consult for the Pipedreams company's owner. Small world. The Series III Pipes are quite good, but the successor company High Emotion Audio has something better. I could get you a sweet deal on a set....they'd sound great in your trailer.
I'd love to know more, Tom but... where would I sleep? :toothy7:

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
I heard the Q3 years ago and they were very nice. But the 36k price, I had run out of money. How much better could they be? Maybe it was the $120,000 worth of electronics in front of them or those big fancy spendy speaker wires.

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
Back in 2012 I auditioned a pair of $64,000 B&W speakers at ListenUp! (Was Hudson’s then) in Albuquerque. I was kinda underwhelmed. Maybe I’m an inverted snob?

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Back in 2012 I auditioned a pair of $64,000 B&W speakers at ListenUp! (Was Hudson’s then) in Albuquerque. I was kinda underwhelmed. Maybe I’m an inverted snob?
I don't think so. I've never been that impressed with B&W's stuff, though there was a small-ish bookshelf system of theirs at around $1200/pair that caught my ears. Still, after some listening, I realized it had a bit of a cob-up-the-ass rendering of spatial information. Not my cup of tea.