Thanks To Gary (62vauxhall)

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Even with Gary's busy work schedule he managed to find a gift to send my way. Thank you for the three 5-packs of sealed Minidisc blanks I received about two weeks ago. Gary didn't want any money sent to him, but I will treat him to a nice lunch when he next rides into Squamish with his bike, on one of my days off.

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
I go through plenty of MiniDiscs, Scott. I've recorded on probably more than a hundred in the past couple of years. I probably don't need any more Type II blank tapes, but I want to add more premium Type I and Type IV cassettes to my recording cache.

Nando.

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Up a mountain between Castlegar & Nelson, BC
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
I go through plenty of MiniDiscs, Scott. I've recorded on probably more than a hundred in the past couple of years. I probably don't need any more Type II blank tapes, but I want to add more premium Type I and Type IV cassettes to my recording cache.

Nando.
I have a few dozen Type 1's. Let me know what you consider premium, I'll have a look.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Gary: The ones I would be after are:

BASF LH maxima X I
Denon DX-4
Maxell XLI-S
Sony ES-1, Sony HF-ES
TDK AR-X

Nando.

62vauxhall

Up a mountain between Castlegar & Nelson, BC
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
I'll have a look. Be home about 10PM.

EDIT: I'd be wary about Denon DX-4. I used a lot of it and bought it by the box. Not long ago, when I played one, the tape stretched. Even if something prevents a supply spool from turning inside the shell, there is not enough torque in a cassette deck to do that unless something compromised the tensile strength of the base layer. Anyway, tape was ruined and I the outcome was the same when I went to play a second DX-4. As mentioned I bought that stuff by the box so maybe those I tried playing were from a "bad batch" but then again....?

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Staff member
Thanks, Gary. I hope your work vehicle has a/c - it's going to be another hot one out there.

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Thanks for the tip, Gary. I haven't tried the Denon or BASF models on the list I gave you, but they were recommended. All the others, on the list, I have used in the past.

nando.

BlazeES

Tagline
Off To Greener Pastures ...
DX-4's are phenomenal tapes. (bad batches notwithstanding).

Throw some well mastered acoustical jams, piano or light jazz on one and prepare to be amazed. :happy2: