Tempted by Pioneer CTF-950

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Charles: Thanks for the tips and relating your experience with the CT-F series decks you've worked on. I know Gary is really proficient when it comes to making things work properly again. I'm hoping this CT-F950 will provide him some pleasure without having to do much. I had purchased this deck some time ago on a tip from a friend. My friend, Johnny, who lives about 40 minutes north of me in Whistler, phoned me one afternoon and said, " I'm here at the Recycle-It Centre and I'm looking at an old deck; it's silver; it says "Pioneer; and it's a heavy motherf...... So, I did drive up there the same day and got it for a very good price. Any of the reconditioned ones selling at Innovative Audio are up there in price (http://www.iavscanada.com/product-category/cassette-recorders/)

I bought my first CT-F950 at a store in North Vancouver called "Soundcraft." Benny was the owner and technician at the store. http://www.canada.com/story_print.html?id=421a3a8f-bf66-4090-828f-16b0b3f41dee&sponsor=

He had lots of great vintage gear for sale. Most times, his established clients wanted to upgrade to newer gear and any of their old components, which were faithfully serviced by Benny, were put up for sale. That's how I got the CT-F950. It was a deck the owner traded in for a newer model. It took me over a month of lamenting over whether to buy it, until I finally plunked down some cash - I think it was $225 - and took it home. I was pretty proud of it and I still use it regularly over the past ten years.

Here are some old pictures of when I first had it:

Nando.

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
I remember Soundcraft TV from the 60's and I also remember that Safeway. When it was brand new my parents would shop there on Fridays and I'd go with them. It had to be one of the first supermarkets with an instore bakery and I got my first taste of a fresh loaf of french bread. I'd cut off a piece immediately when we got home and it was still a bit warm. And they had records too - in wire racks at the checkouts like this one:

IMG_2953.JPG IMG_2955.JPG

Don't think we ever went to the big IGA on Marine Drive ever again.

LarryD

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Larry: Wow, you held onto it for a long time. Nice to hear you persevered and eventually repaired it yourself. It's not often you hear of owners who have held onto their original stereo equipment for 35+ years.

stuwee: Thanks, it has the classic looks I love.

Nando.
Thanks Nando, I did let go of a few pieces thou. A Pioneer SX 1010 and a 707 reel and Akia reel and a Marantz turn table. I have forgotten the model numbers but they were top of the line back then in 1975. I wish I had them back! Also a set of Koss head phones HV 1's I think they were. Best head phones I have ever heard and comfortable as well.

Last edited:

braxus

Journeyman
I also remember Soundcraft. I got my Hitachi S-VHS deck from them initially, and later a Pioneer laserdisc player and a used Toshiba 21" tv. They allowed me to do a layaway payment plan on the S-VHS deck. I no longer have any of those items, but I do have the same S-VHS model from an Ebay source when my first deck went kaput.

Elite-ist

Staff member
It worked out for Gary and I to meet today. Geri and I had planned to watch the movie "The Revenant" at a theatre in North Vancouver, and that was an equidistant location for Gary and I to travel to. We met before the movie showtime and it was nice to see Gary again. Next time, we will make it a longer meeting. Gary kindly took a tote-full of my 8-track cartridges away to service and in return he now has a Pioneer CT-F950 cassette deck.

Nando.

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Like I kidded the folks at Yesfans, I'd love to go to Ohio for our 15th anniversary get together but I can't get my bike back over the Rockies in a week for my birthday. I haven't had a 'vacation' in nearly 15 years.

braxus

Journeyman
I recognize that parking lot. I went to see Jurassic Park at that theater back in 93.

Good to see members having a chance to get together. I've met up with Nando quite a few times in the past and its always been good. Will continue to do so in the future. There is a 50/50 chance I might be moving residence come spring/ summer this year, so maybe Nando will see my new apartment rental. Always wanted to show him my system.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Yes, Lee, it's always much nicer to meet in person. Scott and I have met a few times and I look forward to the day he and I can check out each other's systems.

Nando.