Tempted by Pioneer CTF-950

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
Yesterday I attended a "garage sale" for the second time in a month. While it is in a garage, it looks like this person opens for business every so often. There's a fair bit of stuff for sale all nicely organized and a big draw is video games. However there are audio components, test equipment and many, many tubes.

On my previous visit, I happened to notice a Pioneer CTF-950 in a stack of gear. Yesterday it was still there so I asked if it was for sale, it was - "as is" for $60. He implied it works somewhat but needs work, he knew no specifics other than needing belts which is probably a foregone conclusion.

I did not see it powered up but the face and heads look good.

I had a brief look online about belt replacement on these and what I read mostly was that it takes quite a lot of disassembly.

Can anyone here who has done a belt replacement on one of these care to comment on the disassembly / re-assembly?

I don't know if the auto stop works or not. Is it likely that could need attention?

I had bad luck recently with that on a couple of Hitachi made decks which both had the same broken plastic gear in that mechanism.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Nick Danger is one of the guys to talk to, and it's often more than 'belts' (capstans, from Capstanistan, you know, because there's always a belt theory conspiracy) are another deal, or they'd be fixed a lot more.

I'm still until the impression 'Cinderella' is coming to me someday and all I need to find is the 1250 after that...:happy3:

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I think Sam (Skywavebe) would be best to respond to your question, Gary. I have two CT-F950 decks but I've never serviced either.

Nando.

LarryD

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Hello. I have a ctf 1000. Not sure it is the same but I replaced the belts on it. The parts came with detailed instructions. It was not that easy. I kept pulling more and more shit off of it and was getting a bit worried if I would be able to get it back together. Just stay with the instructions and you should be ok. If your kit comes with no instructions I personally would not attempt it. But that is just me. Edit, I just had a look at the 950 very close to the 1000 as far as the drives go.

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Staff member
Gary: Did you skip on buying the CT-F950?

Larry: Another CT-F1000 owner among us...nice!

Nando.

62vauxhall

Tagline
Yeah, I never went back for it. The seller said it needed work but did not elaborate, just said that things did not function all the time. I did some looking in other forums about belt replacement and it sounded a bear of a job. He may still have it for all I know. Looked to me like he ran a little used stereo equipment and video game business out of his garage and was open for business on some Sundays during the summer.

The time I spotted the CTF950, I missed the boat on a Dual 721 with Shure V15 IV and good needle. While I was looking at it I overheard him say to a guy who just loaded about a dozen turntables into his van that it wasn't right but he could have it as is for $75.

LarryD

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Gary: Did you skip on buying the CT-F950?

Larry: Another CT-F1000 owner among us...nice!

Nando.
Elite-ist, I bought mine new and after one month it started slowing on the rewind. I took it in and they semi fixed it. It lasted just long enough to go out of warranty. It sat for 25 years. I thought what the heck, I will give the repair a go. This was three years ago. It was a task for sure but it works better now then it ever has. Great machine for sure! BTW I love your reels. I should have never sold mine!

Elite-ist

Staff member
Gary: If you are still interested in a Pioneer CT-F950, I have an extra one. I would have to recheck it for playback and recording and ensure all the functions still work properly. If it's something you could live with, then I would be willing to barter your services to repair/rejuvenate my pre-recorded 8-track cartridges in payment for the CT-F950.

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Larry: Wow, you held onto it for a long time. Nice to hear you persevered and eventually repaired it yourself. It's not often you hear of owners who have held onto their original stereo equipment for 35+ years.

stuwee: Thanks, it has the classic looks I love.

Nando.

orange

Tagline
OMG, that is Pretty!
I have one too!

As for the 950, I believe Lee still has access to a working one he wanted to give me that I'd be happy to cover the shipping on, if that's a problem. I've tried to get ahold of Robert on TH about the 1250 he has but I don't think he wants to do installments like I had to do for the RT-707, 909 and Sansui SD-5050...~$500 is too much moolah at once

62vauxhall

Tagline
Gary: If you are still interested in a Pioneer CT-F950, I have an extra one. I would have to recheck it for playback and recording and ensure all the functions still work properly. If it's something you could live with, then I would be willing to barter your services to repair/rejuvenate my pre-recorded 8-track cartridges in payment for the CT-F950.

Nando.
Sounds like a deal to me. I like reconditioning cartridges and haven't had any to do for a while.

This thing I built has 5 trays and each one holds 168 cartridges. 840 capacity and t's nearly full - all refurbished. Gave others to friends, some to those who bought a deck from me, donated a bunch I didn't like to a vintage music store in Cloverdale and reconditioned 75 or 80 for the SPARC museum in Coquitlam. I think I'm addicted to fixing 8 tracks.

IMG_2951.JPG

And I have duplicates.

IMG_2952.JPG

PM me to arrange a place & time.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Hard to believe that skill is marketable....goes to show you how fickle consumers can be....even if they have no idea what they are talking about....

IOW's.....I had no idea that could be done...

Elite-ist

Staff member
Gary: I will pull the CT-F950 out in the next couple of days and hook it up to test it. Provided it works satisfactorily, I'll PM you about how and when we can meet up. This will be a great trade as I don't want to damage any of the 8-tracks I have by playing them, then possibly wrecking the tapes because I haven't reconditioned them. I see you have a good bunch of the classic rock titles. Very nice!

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Gary: Today, I did a test recording over a previously-recorded Maxell XL II tape. I recorded to Side A from CD - a couple of tracks from Rush and some tracks of Mark Knopfler & Emmylou Harris in a duet. I used Dolby B. The functions seem to work OK. I've worked the control knobs full rotations, several times, as there was some scratchiness from lack of use. To be thorough, and to completely eliminate any residual noise, you can clean the controls. I replayed the recording made on this CT-F950 on my other CT-F950 and Nakamichi BX-150. It plays back OK.

I may record with a fresh tape, directly from CD, to test it further. If I come up with a nice mix tape, I will include it with the deck when we meet.

Nando.

Last edited:

62vauxhall

Tagline
Wonderful! I think you mentioned not working Sundays. Would it be one of those that you had in mind and if so, would meeting halfway-ish be more convenient?

I think you mentioned having 75 - 80 cartridges. That still the case or has your collection grown some? No matter, I'll make up a new batch of pressure pads ASAP. I have about 30 on hand and a batch is 70. Will that be enough?

Bear in mind it will take a while. If it's just a new pad & splice, exercising tape pack and lubing the hubs, I can manage about 3 per hour. Sometimes there is nastiness inside that takes longer but hopefully most if not all are straightforward. I'll play check them all and advise if there is anything untoward, fidelity or obvious dropout wise. Heaven forbid nobody's done any re-recording. Recently I found a Pink Floyd Piper At The Gates Of Dawn tape over which someone recorded The Eagles. Was not pleased.

I can really only get stuck into it on weekends but will probably also manage a couple per weeknight. I'll make it a priority and get them done as soon as I can.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Gary: My scheduled days off are about to change, again. They had been Sunday, Monday off, except for the past four months while we were working shorthanded. I should be back on my old schedule in the next two weeks. If a Saturday or Sunday works for you maybe we can plan for one of those days. If it's a Saturday, we can meet at Innovative Audio. I haven't been there for quite awhile. I will give you plenty of notice for a planned date to meet. If it's a Sunday we can meet for lunch in Burnaby.

The last batch of pre-recorded 8 tracks I picked up numbered about 80. But, I do have another 50 from previous years that I have used without incidence. I wouldn't be in any rush to get them back for more than a couple of months, at least.

Nando.

Last edited:

62vauxhall

Tagline
No worries, bring 'em on. The very first batch of 8 tracks I tackled was well over 200 from a garage sale. Too bad there was only a few that I liked enough to keep. I gave the rest away via a CL Free stuff ad and I would almost swear it was to the same couple who held the garage sale I got them from in the first place.

Yes, let me know which Saturday or Sunday. Since I have no life to speak of, I can be at anyone's disposal at pretty much any weekend except may be the afternoon of Saturday the 30th. I was hand delivered an invitation to a co-ed Arrival Party (formerly known as a Baby Shower) for an as yet unborn kid, The grand parents are two of my best friends but my feeling is this do will be extravagant (read expensive) and I cannot handle that.

Tagline
---
The CT-F1250, CT-F950, and CT-F900 (and I assume the 800 and 850) are pure pleasure to work on! They're robust and the transports are all identical between them. Get a belt kit off of eBay and they come with full instructions - down to which wires to cut the ties on and how to maneuver the transport to have enough slack to work on the belts. (Get the eBay kit with the idler tire btw!)

The thing that usually goes wrong with these decks are the takeup reel motors. There is no replacement motor available. You can take apart and clean the original motor, but I've not had good luck doing that. I HAVE had good luck replacing the original reel motor with a capstan motor from a Pioneer CT-10 or CT-20. It works absolutely flawlessly after replacement. (I've done it in a CT-F900, CT-F1250, and CT-F950).

The CT-F950 is actually my favorite of the bunch, closely followed by the 900. The 900 in particular is dirt cheap on eBay, and all it's missing is metal capability. You don't need metal. Metal cassettes are $20 each. Chrome are what you want, they're inexpensive and sound GREAT. All of these decks are full logic - solenoids in the transport. The buttons actuate microswitches, none of that piano-key bullshit. They're also 3-head. I use my 950 daily, and my 900 occasionally. (And my 1250 is in the shop), and they all make absolutely amazing recordings. You should get one, for $60 with no shipping charges... that's a steal. Put $20 worth of belts in it, and hope your takeup reel motor is in good shape. (It probably won't be, but keep an eye out on eBay for a busted Ct-10 or CT-20, and snag it just for the capstan motor)

Charles.

orange

Tagline
I have two 900s and I believe one 20.

I have a fresh vintage bike frame in the box today, would love more of the smell of vintage Pioneer in the morning.