Technics M85 - worth restoring?

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I ran up the bidding for the CAM auction for the Technics RS-M85. Mon ami, the seller in Canada, got almost what he was originally asking for the deck ($200, but unsold), before he relisted it and decided to go the auction route. The deck was bought for $191. Bob and I had agreed to drop out at his last bid of $116, but I had a bit of fun with it this morning.

Nando.

Bob Boyer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Well cool! Did you get it? If so, our original plan can still be good if you're interested. I've been working on a contract for one of our professors this morning and haven't paid attention to email much today.

Edit: just checked the bid log and you're not bidder 3. Well played, though.

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Staff member
Perhaps, it's common with other auctions - as I have no idea because this was my first auction to participate in - during the last second of the auction's closing, I posted a higher bid which was immediately countered by the other bidder. Then the clock started again for an additional 10 minutes of bidding.

Nando.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
That is VERY odd. If another bidder had a higher top than you, that bid would automatically be placed, and if both are exactly the same amount, the earlier bid wins.

BUT, I've never heard of the clock adding time like that... very strange indeed.

Might be best to let it go, unless you know the seller and verified he has something to sell.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
It's done, Jim. But that also is the first time I've heard of something like that happening. Very strange.

From looking at our initial bids, Nando was bidder 1. I was bidder 2. Nando got topped by bidder 3 after running it up a bunch.

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
There's a locale by locale online auction site, MaxSold that incorporates that. They call it "soft close" or something. If a bid is received very near the end, bidding is extended by 10 minutes or so. Prevents sniping I suppose.

Most of what I've bought from that site was not ultra desireable so my bid usually prevailed except with a small lot of 8 track tapes that included Pink Floyd - Animals. Somene else knew about that tape but for good or bad, I prevaied. It went 3 or 4 bids into the "soft close" phase. There was a similar instance involving Tangent speakers. I got them but had buyer's remorse immediately after the adrenaline subsided.

I watched a few things like a Thorens table, Tannoy Berkely and then some Cheviots run well over an hour into OT bidding.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Looking for an update from BlueCrab on how he made out with repairs to his RS-M85.

I am closing in on a deal for a local Technics RS-M85 in the $195 CAD range. The seller is testing the deck's record function and, conditional on whether it is working well, I may be buying it.

Nando.

BlueCrab

Journeyman
Hey Nando. Not well, actually. I replaced the capstan drive and some belts. Mechanically it runs well, but I can't seem to get the expected frequency response - output falls sharply around 2-3 khz (I bought one of the calibration tapes.). I've replaced all the potentially critical capacitors right after the head with no change - indeed the drop in output seems to be coming from the head itself - which I haven't tried replacing. So it has sat, fully unzipped on my bench since. Instead I've been tending to other projects - my brother's Blaupunkt radio from the late 50's & my other brother's Corvette radio from the mid-60's. And the weed whacking, mowing, etc, etc. What I need is some motivation. That price sounds very attractive.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Working on hobby stuff always takes less priority to around-the-house chores. Nice to see you helping both of your brothers out with their fixes. They are going to owe you booze or, at least, treat you to a nice barbeque.

Will post a new thread should I get this RS-M85. Should know more in the upcoming week of whether it's a go.

Nando.