Technics M85 - worth restoring?

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
With good source material, I am getting very nice results on “antique” SA tapes.

I go back and forth often (source/tape) when setting up to be sure I’m not introducing any distortion and source and tape are extremely close. I monitor with the AKG K702’s which are quite “revealing”.

Now, I have had used SA tapes with dead sound and/or dropouts; however the sealed NOS stuff has treated me very well.

(using the Tascam 122 Mk. III)

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I have yet to check out my ferrichromes on a deck that handles Type III but my first deck was a Sanyo with Metal and it was really nice for $120 in 1981.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I lifted the case on my Technics RS-M95 to look over anything that seemed amiss, like the aforementioned physically-leaking capacitors. I found no evidence of that issue. Once Innovative Audio reopens, I will drop it off for a mild service. Looks pretty busy under the hood, but not disorganized.

I have yet to record on mine, but I have been playing a few tapes through it, mostly pre-recorded ones.

Nando.

BlueCrab

Journeyman
That is a seriously nice deck. It's nice to see something done well, it looks great, works well, and was well made.

Elite-ist

Staff member
I can take a photo of the inside at a later time. Just playing a classic tape, at the moment, waiting for the pizzas to arrive.

20200413_180545.jpg

Nando.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
All it needs is fully balanced input and output and it's right up there with the Tandberg and Studer. For a consumer deck, it's fantastic. I've been looking for one (since I'm a Panasonic fan) but they are quite hard to find.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
M85 and M95 are both hard to find. M85s are a little more available but most have been rode hard and put up wet. I quit looking after three years and got Nakdoc to revive the 482Z Nakamkichi for me.

You find a nice lookng example of either of those decks, you should jump on it with both feet.

Elite-ist

Staff member
If any members are interested, place a bid because the auction closes in less than two days. This is in Canadian $ so it could be bargain for U.S. parties. The ad does say it has difficulty rewinding tapes, but all the other functions seem to be okay.

Nando.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Could be an easy transport overhaul to get it to 90+%.

I need it like another hole in my head... I think someone here should give it a good home!

Elite-ist

Staff member
Oh-oh... guess who has the only bid on it. I won't go any higher if another member really wants it. I just picked up a rare high-end cassette deck, yesterday.

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
I will post about the deck, later. It's a bit if a sleeper - not in performance, but notoriety.

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Just to show I'm a good sport, here is part of the ad posted by the seller with my ??? edits:

"** This Ad is Marked as SOLD by seller and cannot be responded to. **

Extremely rare top of the line Cassette Deck ??? - 3 heads, 3 motors quartz locked, rosewood sides. Machine is in perfect working order as well aesthetics. Study photographs, ask questions. Comes with original print brochure for cassette deck series (more pages inside) and original print users manual for this model.

Free Canada shipping. I pack well, read my feedback.

Below are links with review of ??? at The Vintage Knob. Take a minute and read it.
Also, a link with technical specification comparison of all ??? cassette tape decks of all times. Go up on the page, click "Handbook" and you will find all models of all brands you have ever known and also those you haven't know even exist. Take your time, browse around and check for yourself where THIS ??? stands between all of them! You will be surprised. Back then they put lots of pride in what they were doing. This model and in this condition comes rarely. Once it's gone, it's gone for good."

Some of you sleuths may go treasure-hunting and discover the ad, so please keep it between us, for now.

Nando.