TDK GOLD cassette WTF? Anyone know about this ?

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
I asked about these a while ago on the other site.

I guess it was a sales promotion and/or dealer only item. Not clear on why; I have seen some with "JAPAN" embossed on the shell upper right corner and others with TDK embossed there. I am not sure why that is either; perhaps these were bootlegged or something. Not a lot of info out there on them when I was looking.

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Thanks JIM, kinda what I thought. As you might know, I'm a huge Hot Wheels diecast fanatic and, the cool shit get's smugled out of the factories daily. I've never paid and never will $200 for a cassette tape!!

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
It could be a custom made shell with who knows what garbage they put into it. I don't ever remember TDK making such an ugly tape and I think it is a forgery or fake. I would not give the guy 20 cents for it as it really has no value other that to catch this rip off agent.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Well, Sam, they (TDK) did make these, in my opinion. Why, I'm not sure. Possibly sales awards or something like that. They were not offered to the public (at least, I've never seen one when tapes were around) but I have seen several examples of these gold tapes, with various detail changes (TDK vs. JAPAN embossed in the shell). I think I asked the same thing about them over on TH, and subsequently did a bunch of research on them.

And I was even contemplating picking one up in the case, which was a blue velvet box with gold embossed TDK and logo on the inside of the box. The box was clearly "shelf worn", and appeared to be legitimate, rather than a "New" forgery like the "reel to reel" cassette tapes all over the place now.

In the end I did not buy one, as I figured the funds would be better spent on tapes I can actually use.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
I don't think I ever saw anything like it- I would not believe they would make something so crude as to show such ugly tape- any of their regular shells were way ahead of this generic shell that any mold company could make. Well my price stands 20 cents and I don't even need that.
What is with the reel hubs- that is either a plug or this is not for a Phillips cassette deck. Maybe it is a data tape.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
The tapes had a plastic anti-rotation thing stuck through the two hubs.

That threw me as well the first time I saw it...