TC-RX80ES

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
Not a good seller. Sony down costed them and a bunch were bought and held as a Boxing Day special. Advertised at $99 and my store had six. Five were still on hand at end of day. To anyone who knew Sony's ES stuff, it was embarrassing to show those.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I have a JVC DD-7 or something sorta like that and in need of repairs. Regular and Super ANRS.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
They weren't costing down that much in 1988 and 1989 when this deck was released.
That was actually right in the beginning of the pinnacle 'Elevated Standard' years of 1987 to 1993 for Sony.
Sure they had entry level decks donned with the 'ES' badge, but this wasn't one of those lower end models.

And this deck sold for around 600 clams - only to be discounted by liquidators, years later.

1550937413746.png

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I think it's a respectable deck, judging by the spec sheet on it. There was a mint one selling, locally, for a good price. The integral spectrum analyzer is somewhat like the feature on the JVC KD-A7.

And take a look at those stepped function control buttons on the Sony - Nakamichi Dragon style.

Nando.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Didn't Harvestmanman have one of these?

BlazeES

Tagline
---
My Dad had one of those A7's back in the day. Super ANRS was a sort of sleeper NR scheme that worked really well. That deck made great tapes for the in-dash. Fond memories of that era...

Elite-ist

Staff member
That's my KD-A7 pictured above. I use it in my downstairs stereo system. I have had to do zero maintenance on it since picking it up years ago. I keep the receipt taped to the back of the deck - dated 06-22-2010, $16.04.

Nando.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
16 bux. What a deal.

The one thing I remember about that deck is the solenoid control of the mechanism. There are some strong solenoids in that rig. Big throws when activated. Built like a tank. My Dad had the accompanying JVC integrated amp with this big built in equalizer section and this funky ledge that jutted out of the bottom of the face.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Tony: Thanks. After using it all this time, it still throws me with the right-side orientation of the tape well and hitting the correct function buttons. It's the only deck I have to look at the buttons to figure out what action I want to take.

Nando.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Yeah, I totally get it. That right hand well position was a head scratch-er and I always thought left or center was more natural.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
The button on the transport were too small and the meters look kind of cheap. The JVC decks I worked on never impressed me much. Nakamichi were better but there were even some off brand one that were better than the middle of the road stuff.