Tape Ain't Dead ... L O L

BlazeES

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Audio cassette sales climbed 74 percent in 2016

When the audio cassette celebrated its 50[SUP]th[/SUP] anniversary a few years back, many (myself included) assumed that would be the last we’d hear of the antiqued recording format. Well, you know what they say about making an assumption.

As it turns out, cassette tapes didn’t ride off into retirement alongside the VCR. Instead, sales of cassette albums shot up 74 percent in 2016.
Wait, what?

Sales of cassette-based albums climbed to 129,000 units in 2016, up
from just 74,000 a year earlier. That’s a miniscule number when you
consider album sales in general totaled 200.8 million but it’s
fascinating nevertheless, especially to those that didn’t realize
cassette tapes were still in production.

The sudden growth, as Billboard highlights, can be attributed to a handful of specialty releases such as Justin Bieber’s Purpose album and Beauty Behind the Madness by The Weekend. The publication notes that reissues of classics like Prince and the Revolution’s Purple Rain and The Slim Shady LP from Eminem also contributed substantially. The top spot, however, was held by Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Mix Vol. 1 soundtrack with 4,000 units sold per year in 2015 and 2016.

Billboard says most albums (43 percent) were sold via the Internet
and web-based, direct-to-consumer settings. Independent retail stores
accounted for 33 percent of tape sales while non-traditional music
stores were responsible for 21 percent of sales. The remaining market
share was scooped up by major chains.

Vinyl’s resurgence, meanwhile, continued in 2016 with sales totaling 13.1 million, a 10 percent increase compared to 2015.

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
That is right and I've got a few VCRs and a CED player to fix too.

My biggest problem is that kingdom.com is out of stock of their 100 cassette wooden shelves through mid-March.

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Yeah, someone should kick his ass and then when they're done, they should kick his ass again!
I know a few folks who will treat his ass in a way most unpleasant to him, and way above and beyond just 'Kickin' it good my friend :occasion5:

Interesting how cassette album sales are so high, I've never enjoyed one, knowing how much nicer it sounds recorded on great NOS tape from a Lp source.

I'm surprising one of my nieces next week with one of the walkmans Web sold me. I recorded some Shpongle on a vintage '70's Maxell UDXL II, plugged in a buddies $30 earbuds and Shit!! Amazing sound...I'll let her dig through my stash for more goodies. She waits tables part time and goes to school, she'll look so freakin' cool with that clipped to her hip.