Taking the Plunge Into the WOPL 400-II Pool

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
Yeah, I don't know if RG-316 is even good for RCA cords.
There are so many factors. Being a HAM radio operator, I look for signal velocity. This is a measure of the signals ability to overcome the resistance of the cable; it really plays more into RF band frequencies and longer runs.
Another factor than can affect the sound is the cable capacitance. It is normally expressed in pF per foot or pF per meter; you want the lowest number you can find.
Then there is cable impedance, normally 50 Ohms but you can find 75 Ohm or 95 Ohm. This reflects the internal resistance between conductors at a certain frequency. Audio frequencies are too low to be affected by the cable impedance, but for instrumentation and testing, 50 Ohm is recommended. HAM radio (135 kHz-420 MHz) uses 50 Ohm, broadcast television (54 MHz-806 MHz) uses 75 Ohm.

RG316 Cable specs. The "RG" is an old term meaning "Radio Grade":
Frequency spectrum - DC-3 GHz
Impedance - 50 Ohm
Velocity of Propagation - 69%
AC Voltage - 1200 V
Capacitance - 29.4 pF/ft

Ref: https://www.fairviewmicrowave.com/images/productPDF/RG316.pdf

e30m3mon

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Agree. I'll be re-opening the 400 to install that new rectifier and Belden coax for the inputs - soon enough.

Next major project will be dropping the engine&trans out of the track car to replace the clutch. I've been dreading that.
And then deciding the next audio project...repair my Yamaha PX-3 tonearm tracking, Nakamichi 682ZX auto-azimuth function and belts, or the PL P3600 preamp repair. Glad I'm retired!
Stay well everybody.