Stick Tape Treatment

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
Many of you old Tapeheads.net folks may have heard about this already. However for those from just Phoenix Tape site may have missed this welcome source of a way to correct the squealing and squeaky tape we have had to deal with from 3M and Ampex and maybe others. The item is called Nu Finish car polish in the orange bottle at the auto supply.
I did not want to comment until I tried this process but last week I finally did on some 3M 806 that I know was bad and squealed inside of 30 seconds of putting the tape on the deck. I treated it a couple of runs and then cleaned it off 3 or 4 times. This tape that was totally unplayable was restored to working condition from this Nu Finish treatment. To those who can not afford new reels of tape and have plenty of good older tape around this minor investment will work wonders if you have the time to do it. New reel are at $50 a reel but you might not need to buy the new tape if you are sitting on a few old reels of 456 or Scotch 226 or 250. Just process this tape and see what happens.
Just thought that everyone should know about this. Jeff the one who sent the original post about this claims to have a reel he treated back 18 years ago that is still useable today so there is some proof of it's working. Other proof is also coming out as well as what I have seen. I would not send this on unless I thought it is a working solution.