Stephen's WOPL Build

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
The tape is used to hold the solder cups to the board so you can turn the board over and solder them in. The solder cups are an insert set into the board as a place for the output transistor leads to land. They provide a snug fit for continuity and are rated to 8 amps....

Bradrock

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---I run with Scissors
Thank you for the great step by step & sssharp pics Lee! I'm making a folder.
I'd really like to see the testing procedure you use . Exactly where you hook your probes for each test. I've been reading a lot of threads & this seems to be a confusing issue for builders.Some folks might be embarrased to ask......I'm not that proud.

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Yep very nice work there buddy!! :cheers: I've had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Stephen Evans thanks to Lee.

All I can say is WOW!! :love4:, he is a gentleman par excellence, Amazing gear, amazing ear, story teller like no other, and need I mention he is a Thorens turntable guru, he had his buddy drive to LA to grab my SAE A1001 and used it, loved that I bought the Summits :king: !! I could go on and on!!! Sooo very glad he'll get that amp Lee!!! I gotta call him, lost his #, call me tonight buddy and give it to me!! OooooDaddy :3some: Hehehe!! Sorry, man crush, love ya guys!!!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Sheking down the stocker for before measurements. Checking Bias right now, kinda high...452 MV....

Bradrock---Positive lead on the base bus bar, negative lead on the emitter resistor common tie point.....

Another weird point, adjustment range is only 429 mv to 490 mv.....both channels...

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
DC offset, left and right channels.....left 6 mv, right 16mv, for a stocker , pretty damn good..

Bradrock---Negative lead on the PS cap bus bar, positive lead on the collector bus wire of the negative drive of each channel ( which is also the output for that channel) If you want to check DC offset without opening up the amp, just measure across the speaker posts....

Attachments

NavLinear

So you're going to do a pre and post mod test for this beast? If so cool. The newbies should enjoy this.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Time to test...

Notice no sticker on the transformer?? I've been told that Bob would come in and grab one off the line if he needed one. I guess they didn't get a sticker until after QC.....

This load cell is from the PL factory, even has the PL machinery sticker on it....

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I have no idea why the attachments came out so small. When I scanned the documents and saved them they look normal size in the file I saved???

Docs are 627KB in my file folder and only 7kb here....WTF??

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Good, that's my favorite Cheerios :blob3: