Static Solution

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Man, Ya shoulda been here yesterday
While looking around my girlfriends workroom where she does stained glass I came across this product, IMG_0444.JPG IMG_0447.JPG IMG_0443.JPG Copper Foil Wrap and put some on my turntable mats. Thin stuff 0.025mm so it even allows enough room to go in the spindle hole and I wrapped it under the whole mat like the top. Makes a complete ground connection to the ground on the back of the pre-amp and seems to work well at reducing static electricity on the vinyl. Yippee!

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
While looking around my girlfriends workroom where she does stained glass I came across this product, View attachment 44390 View attachment 44391 View attachment 44392 Copper Foil Wrap and put some on my turntable mats. Thin stuff 0.025mm so it even allows enough room to go in the spindle hole and I wrapped it under the whole mat like the top. Makes a complete ground connection to the ground on the back of the pre-amp and seems to work well at reducing static electricity on the vinyl. Yippee!

Now you only need Oxygen Free chopsticks to hoist your cables up on.....

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
That looks like the same thing I use to build slot car tracks.

Our static is so bad that I don't even use the TT in the winter as we heat with wood. The records get dust just while carrying from the record cleaner to the TT ! And the 'Discwasher' seems to APPLY dust instead of removing it!

Let us know how your idea works when it's dry air time.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
For static electricity you need more than one stripe to dissipate the charge. Static electricity is exactly that, electrons trapped on the surface of an insulator that cannot move. The excess electrons in the stripe area will indeed dissipate, not the rest of the LP which is outside the stripe. The top side will have the electric charge that it developed since nothing on that side is in contact with the conductive strip.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
drill a hole in each album, and put a grounding cable to a snap which gets screwed in to the hole you drilled in the album. If you do it in towards the middle of the album, you won't have to "Skip a Rope", and then up to a grounding point on the ceiling above the TT.... :)

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
drill a hole in each album, and put a grounding cable to a snap which gets screwed in to the hole you drilled in the album. If you do it in towards the middle of the album, you won't have to "Skip a Rope", and then up to a grounding point on the ceiling above the TT.... :)
Can always count on you for the innovative solutions Perry... :)

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Maybe the record stays still and the table spins around it? Then the center hole can go right to an 8-foot ground spike.

mlucitt

I like the carbon bristle brush that plays just behind the needle on the Shure V15 Type IV. It measures 35 Ohms from the bristles to the grounded copper armature that slides up into the cartridge. I assume the armature is grounded to the metal shield surrounding the cartridge and that shield is clipped to one of the shield output pins.

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Man, Ya shoulda been here yesterday
For static electricity you need more than one stripe to dissipate the charge. Static electricity is exactly that, electrons trapped on the surface of an insulator that cannot move. The excess electrons in the stripe area will indeed dissipate, not the rest of the LP which is outside the stripe. The top side will have the electric charge that it developed since nothing on that side is in contact with the conductive strip.
Thanks Gepetto, very much appreciate your info and input.