Speakers for Yamaha 2010 amp

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
I need suggestions to choose the approppriate speakers for Yamaha CA 2010 . ( 110 Wpc )
The sound of this amp is " cold " , so I believe that bass reflex speakers are the right choice.

Thank you in advance
Marco

nakdoc

Journeyman
Tagline
highly biased
These older yamahas sound great with early AR and KLH acoustic suspension speakers. I would not say they are cold. What I hear is a taming of strident CD glare, which is a plus for any amplifier. Yammies are almost on par with vintage Sansui.

kevin

Forum Veteran and Hillbilly
Ive got a pair of bookshelf Monitor Audio Speakers that are unreal... They are a little on the expensive side... But I bought mine off Craigs list.. Check out that line !

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
Thank you guys ,
Yamaha CA 2010 is not able to drive acoustic suspension speakers .
Tested with Allison One : it does not have the guts .
Allison One powered by a Pl 700 B : the music .
Same story with a pair of AR 6 . Powered by a Dynaco ST 120 : great sound .
So , good idea to search for British sound ( Monitor Audio ed so on ) .
I have listened to a pair of Elac ( German brand , but british sound ) : very good .
My hifi guru suggests Klipsch Heresy ( 800 € for 1st series )
Are Klipsch Heresy bookshelf , floor standing or both ?
The 3rd series has a sort of pedestal , while 1st and 2nd series no .
Does anybody of you know Elac speakers ?
What do you think about Klipsch Heresy ?
Ciao
Marco

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I owned 2sets of Heresy's. 12" woof. Didnt have the bottom end of the K's , butbthey would thump. Kinda "bright"..

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
One night I had a pair of Heresy"s on top of each K and a D9 in front of each K, the cops did show up that night...

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
If you are not limited to cabinet size, I found a pair of Sansui SP-300 speakers are well-matched to older receivers with somewhat low damping factor. I have a pair of 1968 vintage SP-300s, I bought from the original owner a couple of months back. I use a Pioneer QX-949 quadraphonic receiver to power them. I had and sold four pairs of older Sansui speakers, but these I will keep.

They are very efficient speakers , and like the Heresy speakers, feature horns. I wouldn't worry about the 50W power-handling spec.

Nando.

VSAT88

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Snell J III (I have a AX-900 Yamaha on a set of these right now, hard to believe the sound) or Dynaco A 25. No way you could go wrong with those. Want a real bookshelf that will amaze ? AR 4X. Thank me later.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Usually, the doilies are on top of each of the speakers, Gary.

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Pioneer HPM-60 speakers would also be a good choice, if you are looking for something physically smaller than the HPM-100 or JBL L 100 speakers.

Nando.

Lazarus Short

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
If you are not limited to cabinet size, I found a pair of Sansui SP-300 speakers are well-matched to older receivers with somewhat low damping factor. I have a pair of 1968 vintage SP-300s, I bought from the original owner a couple of months back. I use a Pioneer QX-949 quadraphonic receiver to power them. I had and sold four pairs of older Sansui speakers, but these I will keep.

They are very efficient speakers , and like the Heresy speakers, feature horns. I wouldn't worry about the 50W power-handling spec.

Nando.
I think those are the BIGGEST ports I've ever seen on a speaker...btw, is that QX-949 bridged to stereo?