? - Speaker hook up

Fishoz

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Always learning!
I'm not sure if this is wise - varying internet info...

I want to A/B my speaks. Can I hook two sets of wire to amp out (not easy to get behind unit) and lead the two sets of wire out to separate speakers....only have one set plugged in at a time, so one set of wire is dead head. Problems? What could happen?

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
Problems, if the amp can not handle low impedance and both sets are played at the same time could be an issue

If the deadheaded wires touch + to - or even worse Left to Right then the amp smokes.

I have dual outputs without a switch on an amp and I have two sets of wires hooked up. I am very careful about the ends of the wires when they are not plugged into speakers, usually two pair of Dahlquist DQ-10s. With dual banana plugs the + and - can't touch and the left is 5 feet away from the right speaker wire but I still put a protective cap over the end of the + on the banana. Same with the other set of wires I have, cover one of the unused ends. I don't need a high three-four figure amp repair bill.

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
Well that makes sense....thanks!

I'm still hunting for some DQ-10's...picked up the B&W DM6's at a flea market, waited awhile for right deal came around on these. Hopefully will be as lucky with the DQ-10's....patience pays.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
If i just fixed the volume knob on my 1981 Pioneer SX-400 I could get more control of my three ways but the spot where both channels are okay is LOUD and kicks ass for a 15 20 watter. Could die from a heart attack when it turns on and wakes me up...sheesh.

Mine has no dial pointer LED, hoped there would be more lighting than that...have the two service manuals associated with it and the 400L (longwave) too. I'm bragging now but it was a $5 set IIRC.

1571804347019.png

Last edited:

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
although I am glad you got one of them outlets taped off.... I'd hate to plug more than 10 items into one outlet.

orange

Tagline
If you read my post it says my dial pointer is BURNED OUT. For illustration purposes only.

Now I realize that your Close N'Play is modded for quad but I leave that potential heart attack to the Infinity RS-4000 cabinets with 8" FB cone Pioneer, the original mids with repaired surrounds and can't remember what off the top of my head is in place of the missing EMITs. And they resemble the CS-Pioneer K835s at the front of the room which are a combo of CS-77, 88, the original 8" top woofers and dome Onkyo domed tweeters from an otherwise tweaked pair of CBS Masterworks with sloped fronts that Pacific Stereo probably sold. The active crossovers in the Pioneers are excellent and yes, I can get a good startling from slumber with my three ways and a Pioneer DT-510 timer as an alarm clock.

I think you missed that thread.

And the correct emoji is :wav:

orange

Tagline
And they are right next to my freakin' noggin.