SP12 SE Kit

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
When I first read about the kit it got good reviews. Then I started reading again after the problem with the hum raised its ugly head. The guy that sells them became a jerk when we started asking for help. After the hum problem started. I found by reading everyone was having the same problem and was sending them to him to fix. I don't know if he did it for free. I wouldn't send it back to him. If I had to do again I wouldn't buy from him either. If he knows about the hum problem why hasn't he changed his drawings? Stay away from this kit very far away.

Skratch

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Life is short, so take your time
Larrt, I had problems with his Dynaco ST70 upgrade kit that I installed for a friend. Problem was defective parts, also the boards were of inferior qualiry

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
Larrt, I had problems with his Dynaco ST70 upgrade kit that I installed for a friend. Problem was defective parts, also the boards were of inferior qualiry
Things like this needs to be told so others don't fall in the same trap. It sounds very good on the other settings ; but not much is the same. LOL

I had a lot of good conversations with him and he was very helpful, but that was a few years back. I was going to go with his boards for my Mark III's but ended up going with Shannon's Poseidon boards and was pleased I did.

He was very helpful with some parts for a few amps. I really like the binding posts he'll put together for any amp you have. It's been awhile since I spoke with Roy but it was all positive when I did......

Sorry to hear it may not be that way today......

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
I have talked with both Bob and Roy, and both have been extremely helpful and very nice. I can't say anything negative about either. I bought an SP-9 with the PH-12 phono stage and Roy built it for me. I have not had any hum problems with it. I do have some problems with one of the M-125 mono blocks, but the problem is related to my lack of skills in soldering when building the kit. One of these days I hope to send it to Skratch to find the problem and fix for me...I have a cold solder joint somewhere...but when it works it sounds great....but I also think there is an oscillation problem in that I have blown a couple of tweeters...and that should not happen....another fix for a pro like Mark....

Anyway, I have had no unpleasant experiences with either gentleman...They have both been very helpful, but that is just one person's experience...but I also know there are apparently design problems with the SP-12 which Larry bought...and that shouldn't happen when you spend this kind of money. I would think that Roy would invite the help in identifying the problems, and fixing them...

Last edited: