Source for circular felt pads in cassette deck takeup/supply spindles

Tagline
---
I'm restoring a tape deck, and during the course of cleaning the goo off the idler wheels some rubbing alcohol/goo mix seeped into the felt pads. Now they slip and need to be replaced. Where would I go about sourcing these? I'm assuming I can't just take felt from a craft store and use it.

Charles.

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
I'm restoring a tape deck, and during the course of cleaning the goo off the idler wheels some rubbing alcohol/goo mix seeped into the felt pads. Now they slip and need to be replaced. Where would I go about sourcing these? I'm assuming I can't just take felt from a craft store and use it.

Charles.
I didn't find any type of felt sold in a craft store was suitable - it wasn't real felt. I called around to a few fabric stores to find one that sold felt in sheets - $6. Only needed less than 1 square inch but I didn't see another option.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
You'll find a use for all of that soon, it always comes around.

We have a Jo-Ann Fabrics here, what store did you find yours at?

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
It was a one off independent shop in Vancouver that I found from phoning around. I was very specific about the thickness I needed and what they had was extremely close. I think their stock in trade was more yarn than fabric.

FWIW, I was taking direction from skywavebe. After finding the right felt, I agonized a bit over how to cut the perfect size, perfect circle then put a precisely sized hole dead center. Lee suggested hollow punches punches of which I bought a set but they were too dull or I didn't a big enough hammer so they wouldn't cut Jack Squat. I tracked down someone who did visual presentation who happened to have a laser cutter. Was going to go that route but then Sam let loose that it could be done freehand with a pair of scissors.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
Felt rings have to be cut from sheets that you buy as a self stick round cut felt ring will cost a lot to make. MCM used to sell them but the kit I have now is all yellow and indication of dried felt which is what you are trying to get away from. The felt rings I have cut for slip clutches worked very well reducing the amount of torque that was excessive. Contamination of felt by those that spray oils into their decks are going to be needing replacement as well as a lot of hours cleaning that out. Spraying a lubricant intro a deck that relies on friction of some parts is just plain stupid but people do crazy things all the time.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
I had an associate I am training and he was working on a X10R and he did not think he would be able to fix it. I gave him the idea that repairs do not come easy sometimes and you don't get cream puff jobs all the time. He told me someone has sprayed inside the unit all kinds of the spray grease or oil and he had to clean that out then put a new belts and do the Pinch Roller linkage as all that spraying did nothing good. I heard the other day after a few calls about bias adjustment that the deck is doing well and is ready to go back. A new trainee in SC is going to start up for those in that area and he fixes Amps too. He has not come up with a service shop name yet.