Soundcard

Alex SE

Journeyman
Tagline
Amateur
Now I have marked one more thing with sound card(s).
Connected sound card output to a deck, headphones to max, deck in source mode, nothing strange. As soon as I connect deck output to sound card input, some strange noise is coming up.
Tried to connect deck output to internal card input instead, again noise but not the same as from external sound card, and at lower level.
Tested to connect MD player to a deck, and deck output to input on the sound card, ne noise. Seems that my sound cards don't like loop mode.

Alex SE

Journeyman
Tagline
Amateur
I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 first gen. Balanced and unbalanced. Unacceptable distortion for a test instrument, just like El Paso Tubes shows in that second video I linked to. The latest models are supposed to be better.
One thing I don't get is how you connect RCA cables to Focusrite? Are you using some adapter or cables that are RCA at the one side and ... at the other side?

vince666

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I will not be missed! :p
oh yes, with such cards which are typically oriented for music production you often find jack in-outs and no RCA, like on my Echo Audiofire4 as well... of course, you need a cable with jacks on one side and RCA on the others, rather than the usual cords to connect the deck in the HiFi amp.
Like making by yourself (a good piece of wire and some metallic plugs are just OK and don't cost too much) your couple(s) of "Test in" and "Test out" interconnects (as I did myself) to connect (RCA) decks to (whaterver kind of plug) your soundcard.

go figure... situation here is quite more complex... the tape loop of my amp and ins and outs of my soundcards and ins/outs of a few decks go to a DIY patch bay box with stereo jack plugs, so that I connect/disconnect 2 stereo (in or out) channels with a single plug... to connect any device with RCA ins/outs to anything, with a series of cables with 2 RCA plugs on one side and 1 single stereo jack at the other side.
But I should take a picture because it's much easier than explaining it with words.

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
Yes, I agree. That's why I'm looking for a good (don't need to be pro) external sound card with DAC, with (if possible RCA) in and out, and optical out.
Have a few Topping DACs. Excellent performance.