SORRY, CHARLIE!

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Anne Boleyn lost her head for Henry and lost it twice.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
Good news! I got the output jacks working! It sounds wonderful, and I know now why there are so many Charlie fanboys. Good tuning + good sound quality. It's almost as good as the Aiwa...

It goes on CL tomorrow. If it doesn't sell there, I'll take it to the next Twangfest.

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
I'm sure Charlie will sell Laz, it is awesome! I'm not much of a radio guy, Love, Love, Loved listening to live classical broadcasts from around the world from the UofA station on my tubed Pilot, something about tubes/FM/classical music = Magic :happy2:

orange

Tagline
I use a 15 watt 1981 Pioneer SX-400 as an alarm clock radio though and once owned a Hoffman StereoFi console and 1964ish Sansui SAX-200.

tivali

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Well the Diana Sumo pre is still on the back burner, but moving ahead of some other gear. I have been making some headway.

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
I've read the entire thread & I can't figure out what a 'Charlie' is? I have recently bought 3 nice & groovy looking Heathkit tube tuners & seperate FM Multiplex units. I have a couple nice H.H. Scott tube tuners also.
I'm a sucker for 'Magic Eye' tubes on tuners!

Last edited:

Netfly

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I'm a sucker for 'Magic Eye' tubes on tuners!
Me too. My folks had an old Dumont RA113 TV from the 50's like this one:

http://www.tvhistory.tv/1951-DuMont-RA113-blonde.JPG

I eventually scrapped the TV, but saved the Magic eye tube. For what reason I still don't know, but I just liked it. I was always intrigued as to how that TV tuned from TV channel 5 or 6 to FM then on to the next TV channel in one dial. Magic.

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"

orange

Tagline

I eventually scrapped the TV, but saved the Magic eye tube. For what reason I still don't know, but I just liked it. I was always intrigued as to how that TV tuned from TV channel 5 or 6 to FM then on to the next TV channel in one dial. Magic.
NTSC Channel 6 (analog) was directly below the FM band between 82-88 MHz with the audio portion at the bottom of the tuning range of most tuners and receivers at 87.75 which meant that they could play the sound from that channel. After the FM band are frequencies for aircraft and public service radios and then NTSC Channel 7 starts at 174 MHz.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very_high_frequency#United_States_and_Canada

orange

Tagline
I never had the chassis with the cabinets, or else I had the chassis but no cabinet, in the case of a Stromberg Carlson with AM/FM, phonograph input and it used a 12LP4 that was probably a Dumont but those tended to get rather hot and melt the bezel seal so a GE 12LP4A replaced it...a round monochrome CRT circa 1950.

I have broken the front panels out and used them for A/V cabinets. My friends and family have also desired them and bought a few from me. I prefer the styles with doors.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof

An Eico Model 950 Cap checker uses the Magic Eye tube....